Budget, March 2014

It is market led. If folk stop going to a destination for some reason the price drops to attract them back. So if folk start going to Florida instead of Spain then increasing the price of Spanish holidays won't attract them back. I think Egypt has cut the price of holidays there because folk were going elsewhere. They didn't put up their prices.

air passenger duty is not market led

it is air passenger duty which is being amended by the budget - not the market price of the flight (at least not directly) - airlines cannot decide not to charge the APD - although they could amend their ticket prices to accommodate it - but the APD is not market led (the state of the market may influence how the chancellor decides what taxes to levy and at what rate, but it doesn't dictate the decision)

---------- Post added 20-03-2014 at 10:57 ----------

Well the reason that I chose 2010 as a start date was because the election was in May when the FTSE dipped below 5000. Yesterday it was around 6600. Around 10% pa increase. The all share index has performed better than that.

as i said, it all depends how selective you want to be with your statistics - as with most investment decisions, timing is everything

I'd sooner have my pension pot to do with as I please rather than donate it all to an insurance company only to be given a pittance back each year and then for them to keep the whole lot when I drop off my perch..

Exactly what I think, it's a no brainer

Best thing to come out of the Budget by far..although the ISA limit to 15K is also very welcome.

What makes you think people have enough money to save when they're fighting over reduced food in supermarkets or going to food banks?

Best thing to come out of the Budget by far..although the ISA limit to 15K is also very welcome.
But only encouraging people to go gambling on the stockmarket where you will never beat the thieves with inside information to part you from most of what you should have got!

Archived