Hodkin and Jones

little spiky

I lived in the Hodkin & Jones houses on Queens Road. My father and uncle did the floors you mention. My grandfather and most of the male relatives worked for the firm in various departments. I knew most of the Italians who worked for this firm.

Hope this helps.

My Mrs. still works for H&J, and as previous posters have advised, they are now based on Callywhite Lane in Dronfield...01246 290890.

They've got plaster moulds in store from the year dot, but they're exceedingly busy these days, so whether anyone would frankly have the time to aid your research is questionable....worth a shot, though.

I recall the yard at Havelock Bridge, used to look into it from the upper floor of the circular bus on my way to school in the first half of the 1950's. It appeared to be a builders' merchants.

That's right too - Monks DIY.

John Monks owned H&J for while, but has nothing to do with it now.

They also had premises on Commercial Street until (I think) last year.

Overall, H&J have existed for about 150 years, so they do know what they're talking about!

Extract from the history of St Barnabas parish by Mary Walton.

"One of the White Houses (there were cottages adjoining the White House itself, demolished some years ago) was in 1879 the residence and workplace of Herbert Hodkin, plasterer. In 1881 Herbert was still living there, but had been joined in the workshops by William Jones, and the well-known firm of Hodkin and Jones had been started. By 1898 the two had established premises in Blonk Street, London Road, Saxon Road, and in 1900 are first found listed at Havelock Works, Queen's Road. Here they carried on business as builders' merchants until 1962, when the firm was amalgamated with William Monks (builders' merchants) Ltd."

The White Houses stood on the corner of Bramall lane and Cherry street.

[quoteFounded in 1884.515 Queens Road. They had

a Tiling. Concrete, Terrazzo & mosiac, and Plaster departments.

My step-father was a Terrazzo worker for Hodkin & Jones. We always thought that his brother-in-law had a financial interest in the company, but I have no evidence of this.

Hi Cynthia, What is the name of your step - father and brother-in- law ?

I did know the manager of the depatment who did have a financial interest in the company.

My stepfather was Tony Antonini and his b-in law's last name was Stefanuti. I am gong back many years. My step father died in 1954.

Hi Cynthia, My father used to deliver the wages with Eric Stefanuti on Hodkin & Jones outside contracts, Eric lived on Edmond Road, Sheffield. I think Eric had one son and two daughters, the son also had a son who was a Dr in in Sheffield and died About 2005 ? in Sheffield.

Do you know where Tony Antonini came from ? I am researching my family tree and it may help.My grandfarther came from Santa Maria Oliveto, Italy in 1900.

Archived