Hodkin and Jones

little spiky

On the subject of Italians I also remember Chic Rosso, Lol Saccomando. Steffanutti is a name mentioned by them as was Fantozzi, any relation LEN F ?. I forgot to say about Stan and Ernest unfortunately there surname escapes me, probably with sniffing too much grout dust.

Hi .Sliver, I do know of Stan & Ernest Swift (two brothers ) Ernest was my uncle ,also Chic Rosso, his son was best man at my wedding. Also Eric Stefanuti He was the head man at Hodkin & Jones. + the Saccomandos and Pelegrinos. I would love to know who you are Sliver.

Joe was from the same estate as me Woodthorpe.He knew my dad from way back when they both lived on West Bar around Copper street. I have some Italian blood in me as well. I remember him polishing the terazzo what a filthy job that was, and doing the coving by hand, proper graft, he was white all week and black at weekends as he swept chimneys for a bit of beer money. Chic was part time he must have been 70 odd and i worked with him putting nosings on about seven flights of stairs on a bank down the moor, he learnt me some italian mostly swear words. Both lovely fellas I often think back, in fact most of the tilers i worked with in Sheffield were a good bunch. Also Stan and Ernest (Swift) nice fellas too, I remember Stan had an old Hillman Husky always breaking down it was.

Hi Falls, My aunt still lives in the H & J houses but we cannot remember a Mr & Mrs France.

Hi Sliver, I did know Joe, I also worked with Chic. He also had a Husky. Are you conected to Joe ? I still would like to know who you are. Stan Swift died last year, I do know his daughter.

Archived