Where was this?

mike-s

Back in the eighties whilst restoring an old classic car I needed a long list of various nuts, bolts, studs, brass dome screws etc etc. I made a list from the manufacturers manual and was told about an old place which would have everything I needed in stock, despite the age of the vehicle and the various threads, whitworth, imperial etc. The company in question was in an old area of Sheff, had obviously been there donkeys years and I remember the trade counter was up some old stairs and was like something from the 1920s, however the guy never flinched when I gave him the list and not only promptly supplied the lot but charged me peanuts. I cant remember for the life of me where the place was, the only thing that springs to mind is the name 'green' but to be honest this could be from something else entirely!. I would love to know if it still exists.

Back in the eighties whilst restoring an old classic car I needed a long list of various nuts, bolts, studs, brass dome screws etc etc. I made a list from the manufacturers manual and was told about an old place which would have everything I needed in stock, despite the age of the vehicle and the various threads, whitworth, imperial etc. The company in question was in an old area of Sheff, had obviously been there donkeys years and I remember the trade counter was up some old stairs and was like something from the 1920s, however the guy never flinched when I gave him the list and not only promptly supplied the lot but charged me peanuts. I cant remember for the life of me where the place was, the only thing that springs to mind is the name 'green' but to be honest this could be from something else entirely!. I would love to know if it still exists.

They flitted to Shepcote lane years ago, and now charge £10 minimum. There is another place on Shepcote Lane, opposite where British Steel used to be I think its called UK. Fastenings. The last time I was there they just charged for what you wanted, and was very helpful.

Archived