Airbag warning light

So you can just take the bulb out and pass the test??

I thought that was just an internet rumour?

Madness isn't it? Thats why I said that if you're buying a car and the warning lights dont light up at all when you turn on the ignition, run away.

I've even known some garages disconnect central displays to hide faults.

On a car I was looking at the home trader seller claimed that the airbag light had "just come on while I was hoovering under the seats". Quick hookup to the diagnostic machine showed that the car had had a bump several hundred miles previously and not had the airbag ECU reset. The connection under the seats was fine.

Told Trading Standards, they didn't care as he wasn't registered as a motor trader, as far as they were concerned it was a private seller (despite him having several cars for sale on his drive and selling constantly) and cavat emptor. If you're buying a car these days your best friend is a fellow marque owner who knows them inside out and may have the diagnostic equipment.

Another car I've been looking at for a customer had a query of the odometer not being right. "Clocks were scratched and got changed" said the trader. "Bull", said I. The mileage is stored in the computer, the clocks are just dumb receivers nowadays. It turned out a poorly fitted windscreen had leaked onto the BSI and a botch fix of a new BSI had been hastily stuck in. Proven by the serial numbers not matching what the car was supposed to have. The windscreen still leaked so would do it again over time.

Edited by alchresearch

It is now a test failure to have an operational fault on an air bag warning light.This came in last year and my car failed on it.This after passing for the three previous years with the same fault and being tested at the same garage by the same tester.It is not a failure if the engine management light stays on.

• 1 month later...
While a fully operational SRS system on a car is the best option on a safety point of view, but to anyone who doesn't know, a missing or inoperative airbag warning lamp is not a reason for rejection on an MOT test ;)

Section 5.4 Page 1 issue date April 2013 ;)

thanks that's worth knowing