Inequality for all

Absolutely agree.

Passive resistance worked for Ghandi, but he was a clever, charismatic leader of men, (and women,) an organiser and a great stratigist.

I'm not sure we've got one of those....

Sure anna,no poor people in india,all Ghandi achieved was independence not equality.There is nowhere on earth with true equality.

A lot of 'repeat offenders' have already worked out that they're happier and more secure in jail than trying to make a go of things outside.

Yes.

It's really a separate distinct issue to what I was talking about though.

On the one hand, you have people who have fallen in to poverty, and are perhaps struggling to feed themselves and living rough etc. I think they way things are going, more and more people are finding themselves in this category (seems to be worse in the US than over here). For those people, it makes sense to be locked up, as you instantly get shelter and food, so basic criteria for survival are met.

What I was talking about, was using the threat of mass voluntary imprisonment (and the burden that would entail for the state) as leverage; so that the unrepresented poor can have some influence in shaping society to better represent their interests.

if this was happening in Greece/france etc the people would be up in arms about it. why we have become a nation of just rolling over and letting the gov/banks/big busineses shaft us ill never know

I think it's because a lot of us, especially baby boomer generation, are still relatively comfortably off, as compared with the British population as a whole and certainly in world terms. It's when people are faced with losing homes, jobs, money and security, with no prospect of getting them back, that they protest, and then only if other people are doing the same, with good organisation ...

Problem with inequality is that it is perceived, as is equality.

Put a bunch of Eton boys in a suit in charge and that perception is altered significantly in favour of inequality.

Serious change in the political system is needed, but when it was nearly possible through the referendum on AV, which should have been for proper democratic representation in the first place, the majority of the country turned into the sheep they are and followed Lord Cameron.

Ultimately nothing will ever change as long as people are blasé about their democratic duty.

The trouble is too many people take no interest in politics at all, and don't even notice what's going on around them until it affects them personally.

We need lot more consciousness raising.

---------- Post added 22-03-2014 at 02:49 ----------

Sure anna,no poor people in india,all Ghandi achieved was independence not equality.There is nowhere on earth with true equality.

The point I was making is he inspired ordinary people to come together to achieve change without resorting to violence.

we are supposed to have clever people running the country yet this gov and previous govs have let things slide. how can the kids of today be a part of turning around the economy ? who will lend them money to buy a house when they have zero hours contract/agency work type jobs this country seems to be creating? I see people on here who advertise houses to let yet I wonder how many of these tenants are actually on zero hours contracts/agency work (landlords feel free to let us know).

A lot of 'repeat offenders' have already worked out that they're happier and more secure in jail than trying to make a go of things outside.

Life in prison may be too comfy but it doesn't mean people prefer it. If that was true then offenders wouldn't attempt to avoid being caught would they?

Life in prison may be too comfy but it doesn't mean people prefer it. If that was true then offenders wouldn't attempt to avoid being caught would they?

I think it's a small but significant minority of offenders. Some people have never had any structure in their lives, and cannot develop the routines and self discipline needed to hold down a job, have good relationships, and follow the 'rules' of society, both written and unwritten. This can lead to a lot of misery on the outside, and for some, the structure imposed by prison life can almost be a relief.

Absolutely agree.

Passive resistance worked for Ghandi, but he was a clever, charismatic leader of men, (and women,) an organiser and a great stratigist.

I'm not sure we've got one of those....

Ghandi was the greatest empathetic person, and he upheld his own empathetic way to appeal to his aggressor's human nature. This is why it works. India is a very big empathetic country, and it is still quite a spiritual country. That is why we see someone like himself in India.

In the UK, we are not like that. We do not care all too much about other people, than we look after ourselves. Here in this country, those who fought off the Nazi actually think that this is a good thing, but when in reality, it was not the expression of emotion which ended up with that situation, it was also the fear of the people, and therefore they took precaution. I can see why more often than not, a lot of people tout others to suppress themselves, until we get a situation of social activism happening here.

Humans are humans. Either you let yourself be human, or you suppress your human nature, and you end up perversing yourself.

In this country we now have systems in place which perverses people instead. Social services, mental "health", all to draw people to the exact same baseline that they are supposed to be in comparison to their peers.

One word. There is no unity, and there cannot be diversity with unity. At best, we can achieve that "harmony with indifference", but that is about it.

When I tell people that the Christian church in the UK do not have its strictest moral values in place any more, and that you can still have homosexual priests and pastor which differs from the Roman Catholic Church, I can begin to see how perversing we have moved along that spectrum as a society.

In this country we use knowledge to suppress people too. Also, others have to "challenge" others rather than to understand them through a mutual understanding and empathy. This is something that I do not understand of others. Cos it means that they do not see basic human rights at the core and heart of themselves.

Archived