First prosecutions for Female Genital Mutilation

140 referred cases in 4 years and no one has been in the dock yet !

30 years its been in law, what are these jokers doing ?

---------- Post added 21-03-2014 at 21:11 ----------

after watching the news tonight from our national broadcaster the very PC BBC, there was not one mention of the "M" word and the ethnic backgrounds of the communities that practice this barbaric method of controlling their women and young girls.

That's why nothing has been done to date I recon, they didn't want to 'upset' anyone :mad:

after watching the news tonight from our national broadcaster the very PC BBC, there was not one mention of the "M" word and the ethnic backgrounds of the communities that practice this barbaric method of controlling their women and young girls.

FGM also happens to Christian girls as well in countries such as Kenya and Ethopia.

I've seen this on the BBC today. But there was no mention of the communities that practice it the most, anyone know?

Somalians I'd guess. It's not a religious thing it's a traditional and cultural thing. I saw a female circumcision party in Uganda. That's an 84% Christian country by the way.

It is a widespread problem, not just, although predominantly, with particular muslim fundamentalists (and, as such, a minority of the muslim population) there is a flipside to prosecuting them though and that is that this will become even more 'under the radar'. It is also a very difficult thing to prove, particularly if the girls are too young to communicate about what happened. So as a result people that feel they need to do this might now simply do it to girls when they can have no recollection of it, ie. babies.

Nasty and barbaric, but also complex and difficult to defeat.

Maybe, just maybe, the "m" word wasn't mentioned because it's not an *"M"*-word phenomenon...? she says, brightly*

see Mr M and taxman's comments below about Uganda, Kenya and Ethiopia.

as taxman et al said, it is a sub-saharan african phenomenon, and it is not a solely Muslim phenomenon, it happens to Christian, Animist, and Jewish girls.

It's not religious, it's about male control over females, and over female sexuality.

Why are more muslims doing it then over here? Not heard of any RC church's promoting it? :huh::huh:

Why are more muslims doing it then over here? Not heard of any RC church's promoting it? :huh::huh:

What she is saying is its not a Muslim thing but the people practicing it are Muslims (if that makes any sense).

Its a cultural thing amongst some people that are Muslims but its not Muslim specific.

At least I think that's what is being said ?

What she is saying is its not a Muslim thing but the people practicing it are Muslims (if that makes any sense).

Its a cultural thing amongst some people that are Muslims but its not Muslim specific.

At least I think that's what is being said ?

It makes total sense, just don't mention the 'M' word and everybody is at it to some :huh::huh: