First prosecutions for Female Genital Mutilation

i read im sure the dr "repaired" some genital mutilation but is then getting done for genital mutilation??

---------- Post added 21-03-2014 at 22:50 ----------

It makes total sense, just don't mention the 'M' word and everybody is at it to some :huh::huh:

what they mean is.......... certain people are obsessed with muslims doing it, but its NOT just muslims doing it :help:

What I don't get about FGM is who benefits? Obviously not the women, but how do the men benefit?

They always have to have sex with a woman who doesn't get any pleasure from the act and is quite possibly in pain. Where's the pleasure in that? :confused:

i read im sure the dr "repaired" some genital mutilation but is then getting done for genital mutilation??

Hope this helps.

a doctor at the Whittington Hospital repaired female genital mutilation that had previously been performed on the woman, allegedly carrying out female genital mutilation himself.

So under the guise of doing a repair he actually did more mutilation.

He was finishing off a half done job with the sounds of it.

---------- Post added 22-03-2014 at 00:45 ----------

What I don't get about FGM is who benefits? Obviously not the women, but how do the men benefit?

They always have to have sex with a woman who doesn't get any pleasure from the act and is quite possibly in pain. Where's the pleasure in that? :confused:

Maybe its down to women being seen as not in the same hierarchy as men so are deemed not worthy of pleasure ?

Which is why people are confusing it as a solely Muslim thing ?

Maybe its down to women being seen as not in the same hierarchy as men so are deemed not worthy of pleasure ?

It's about control. "I'm not interested in pleasuring you but only myself. Should you decide to go off the tracks and get pleasure elsewhere then I have the solution" Snip!! and what better way of doing that? ..have so much control that you get the victim to go along with it or catch them when they don't have a choice. The whole concept of religion (all) is control, not surprising it's the vehicle used.

Hope this helps.

Allegedly... it's not been to court yet & that wasn't even in the article.

Maybe he was actually doing a repair & is just a scapegoat to prosecute so the government can be seen to be 'doing something' about the problem, without really doing anything worthwhile. Maybe it'll make it harder for women to get treatment for problems caused by FGM.

There isn't enough in that article to say whether it's a worthwhile prosecution or not & the 'repair' bit sounds suspect.

Edited by anywebsite

Allegedly... it's not been to court yet.

Maybe he was actually doing a repair & is just a scapegoat to prosecute so the government can be seen to be 'doing something' about the problem, without really doing anything worthwhile.

I thought about that when I heard this, it was just to convenient given they were talking about their never being any prosecutions last week, and now this :suspect:

Hope this helps.

---------- Post added 22-03-2014 at 00:45 ----------

Which is why people are confusing it as a solely Muslim thing ?

The ironic thing is, that in Islam, the husband is obligated to please his wife, (if we can make such "delicate" statements) so FGM goes against all the laws of Islam by preventing the mutilated woman from getting pleasure in Lovemaking.

Also, in Islam, we are forbidden to commit acts that could be harmful (eg drinking, smoking, taking illicit drugs) even down to tattoos, being forbidden (I have tattoos, but from before I was a Muslim). So the risks of sepsis etc at the time of the mutilation should make it haraam (forbidden)

The fact that FGM causes huge dangers of death to both the mother and child in childbirth (And the far reaching repercussions afterwards of the damage done trying to give birth with such scarring and mutilation, that alone should also make it Haraam (forbidden) to any right-thinking Muslim.

As I said earlier, and as Skinz also said, in a roundabout way, above, what it boils down to, is, it is about the control of females, and taking the control of their sexuality from them. Which is really an archaic and phallocentric way of thinking. *the world revolves around me and my "bits"* lol

With the length of time the law has been in place it goes to show how long the establishment have been in denial of such crime. The UK is starting to show the 3rd world country it really is. The difficult part I would imagine is prosecuting as people who condone this activity are two faced liars so getting to the truth will be impossible without firm evidence.

The difficult part I would imagine is prosecuting as people who condone this activity are two faced liars so getting to the truth will be impossible without firm evidence.

The 'firm evidence' is examination of the woman isn't it? All women at some time during their lifetime will undergo an intimate examination, so presumably at that stage any FGM would be highlighted and a complaint made if she chooses to follow through with one.

Edited by boyfriday