First prosecutions for Female Genital Mutilation

That's true, ironically a few hundred years before Egypt became an Islamic country.

I also didn't say it had its origins in Islam, Islam just adopted it along with most of their other rules and laws, and if it had been against Mohammad's wishes, the practice wouldn't have survived the past 1400 years. The more Islamic a country is, the more likely it is for a girl to suffer the consequences of FGM.

I also didn't say it had its origins in Islam

I didnt say you had said that!

---------- Post added 23-03-2014 at 18:45 ----------

Would you like to explain your comment?

Hmm, this should be interesting ...

*horrified face* if it were an imam, that did this, then that would be another thing that would go completely against the laws of Islam.

For a female, the "Awrah" (area of the body to be considered private to a non-related male) is at the very least from navel to knee, some say it's from the neck to knee, (boys, certainly the minimum of their body parts that must be covered are navel to knee) so quite what the hell an unrelated male, never mind one in "authority" as an Imam is, would be doing, seeing the child's awrah, let alone (ANYONE) approaching the awrah area, to mutilate a child in such a way astounds and horrifies me.

it is my understanding of this awful practice, that what happens is that the parents are "persuaded" to make their daughter(s) undergo this mutilation, by the older tribeswomen in the community, who also carry this mutilation out with unsterilised and often rusty instruments. (the horrific thing being that, usually, these women committing these crimes against the children were also victims of this horrible, horrible practice, years before, back in their turn)

In Islam, is there any section of the Koran which talks of not discussing intimate topics with that of strangers on the internet, and also to make and embarrass other females too ? Or to realise that something private has now been exposed, criticised, and disturbing others also ?

In Islam, is there any section of the Koran which talks of not discussing intimate topics with that of strangers on the internet, and also to make and embarrass other females too ? Or to realise that something private has now been exposed, criticised, and disturbing others also ?

Are you saying that FGM shouldn't be talked about or discussed?

I can't believe we have such strict laws against child abuse and sexual abuse yet this slips through almost unnoticed...

Slipped through???

its been campaigned against for years- i

knew someone who used to ring the police when she heard kids screaming from a certain centre in sheffield - she always believed it was fgm THE POLICE NEVER SHOWED UP...............(ok iI'm talking over 15 years ago)

---------- Post added 23-03-2014 at 23:56 ----------

Does anybody else find the report confusing?

So he was repairing damage caused by FGM, but in the process committed FGM???

The birth will have ripped the woman apart because of the original FGM................

what the doctor did would would determine whether it was repair or basically sewing her back up again in the FGM style - the latter means the prosecution should be a good un

Slipped through???

its been campaigned against for years- i

knew someone who used to ring the police when she heard kids screaming from a certain centre in sheffield - she always believed it was fgm THE POLICE NEVER SHOWED UP...............(ok iI'm talking over 15 years ago)

---------- Post added 23-03-2014 at 23:56 ----------

The birth will have ripped the woman apart because of the original FGM................

what the doctor did would would determine whether it was repair or basically sewing her back up again in the FGM style - the latter means the prosecution should be a good un

Why not name the centre they need exposing.

There is something wrong with people who thinks that this kind of thing such be talked about so publically, and I do wonder what the point is, and why others seem to think that this is really a part that they need to get involved in ! You guys are talking about what other people do and way into the topic of what others do in their bedrooms for goodness sake ! Have you gone mad ???

I have no heck of an idea how people get away with this kind of thing here on the forum. Especially when it states that this is a FAMILY forum. Hasn't anyone got any damn filters these days any more ?

---------- Post added 24-03-2014 at 00:16 ----------

Surely not before time as well.

There must be thousands of parents and doctors complicit in this crime throughout the UK yet it's only now we get a prosecution.

I suppose it's one of those crimes that is mostly hidden and few victims will speak out for fear of their parents being gaoled but there must be a degree of complicity from the medical profession and maybe just a basic unwillingness to get involved

"The UK has in the past been compared unfavourably to other countries over the issue, such as France where there have been more than 100 successful prosecutions.

MPs have said it is "unforgivable" that there have been no UK prosecutions since laws against FGM were introduced nearly 30 years ago.

This was despite more than 140 referrals to police in the past four years."

Why did you create such an awful thread on a family forum Taxman ? I'm curious to know.

Edited by salsafan

Why not name the centre they need exposing.

because it was 15+ years ago and the person who told me is no longer here

---------- Post added 24-03-2014 at 00:30 ----------

There is something wrong with people who thinks that this kind of thing such be talked about so publically, and I do wonder what the point is, and why others seem to think that this is really a part that they need to get involved in ! You guys are talking about what other people do and way into the topic of what others do in their bedrooms for goodness sake ! Have you gone mad ???

I have no heck of an idea how people get away with this kind of thing here on the forum. Especially when it states that this is a FAMILY forum. Hasn't anyone got any damn filters these days any more ?

---------- Post added 24-03-2014 at 00:16 ----------

Why did you create such an awful thread on a family forum Taxman ? I'm curious to know.

a)You know that people on here talk about loads of unpleasant aspects of human behaviour and....................

b) If FGM had been talked about more openly in the past maybe there would have been an outcry and thousands of children would have been spared this barbaric torture