Does anyone know anything about dogging (not what you think)??

Before we go any further I definitely DON'T mean the activity involving car parks at night!!

Instead, I am trying to find out about the conducting/directing/signalling of activities in a steel works that need to fit in with each other. I have recently seen it on an old film and it seems to involve a series of quite subtle hand signals made by one man. Googling it has yielded little, so I wondered if any of you had either direct experience or some knowledge of this essential, but little known about, activity.

I'd love to hear from you.

Before we go any further I definitely DON'T mean the activity involving car parks at night!!

Instead, I am trying to find out about the conducting/directing/signalling of activities in a steel works that need to fit in with each other. I have recently seen it on an old film and it seems to involve a series of quite subtle hand signals made by one man. Googling it has yielded little, so I wondered if any of you had either direct experience or some knowledge of this essential, but little known about, activity.

I'd love to hear from you.

I think you might mean a "banksman", they have them for cranes, so the crane driver, who is usually in his control room up the crane, is told which way the crane is wanted to go, i.e. up , down, left ,right, or trolley in or out, it is left to one man to direct so there is no confusion in the directions.

Sorry to disappoint some people!

Thank you TFishcake - have you got any more information at all? Myself and a friend are making a film involving some of these actions.

just google "banksman" or ask any crane driving training firms for any illustrative info.

On Aussie construction sites the guy who directs the crane driver is known as a dogman. Hand signals or radio. In the old days, 60s they used to ride on the crane hook on a sling and use a rope for signalling. Many were killed by double decker buses. Not PC. anymore and the Oh&s would have fits.

Archived