How Much Profit Do Greggs Etc Make On A Single Item?

Got my new pebbles from spec savers toady and felt like I needed a nibble. Strolled along to Greggs and bought a sausage roll for 80p. I immediately went back to spec savers saying you have fitted incorrect lenses as everything looks 'shrunk'. The kind lady says this happens all the time and correctly informed me that Greggs sausage rolls appear smaller every week.

I'm pretty sure you can buy Five sausage rolls at Cooplands for a Quid.

So, what is the price structure? How much profit is made?

I would say from the Cooplands price that One sausage roll, all in, costs around 7p to make.

Underground Mick, big underground forum undertaker reckons a Big Mac only costs 17p to make. And that includes feeding the cows, electric, transport and paying mugs to make them.

Is this true? How much are these dodgy burger vans making on one single vomit burger?

Are we really getting this mugged off?

Opines?

Wages. Always a huge proportion of outgoings.

Also, Cooplands don't seem to have the clout to set up in prime spots like Greggs do. Which brings in 'outgoings part two'. Rents.

Burger vans might not be cheap, but they tend to be at high-customer-rate, but only for short times, type businesses. (I'm sure there is a phrase for that, but it isn't coming to me)

The cost of the staff, premises and overheads will cost far more than the actual food item itself. It's not like cafes and other bakeries are selling sausage rolls much cheaper than Greggs.

Not a chance in hell. Places like Greggs, McDonalds etc make their money through selling masses of product, not through massive profits on each individual item.

He just gave an example of another chain bakery selling much cheaper sausage rolls & they're probably better ones too. 80p is pretty expensive for a very basic small sausage roll, you could buy a good one or even a pack of 4 or 5 for that in plenty of other places.

People just go to the big recognisable brands because they recognise the name. So these brands can spend all their money on advertising & high rents for lots of prime locations and totally forget about needing reasonable quality and/or low prices.

Simple solution, if you must buy a sausage roll (or other baked product), avoid greggs like they're infected with the plague & get one from anywhere else instead. Compare the prices & quality.

If they spend so much for advertising & about 5 shops in Meadowhall then the ingredients for the sausage rolls will be about 2p.

He just gave an example of another chain bakery selling much cheaper sausage rolls & they're probably better ones too. 80p is pretty expensive for a very basic sausage roll, you could buy a good one or even a pack of 5 for that.

People just go to the big recognisable brands because they recognise the name. So these brands can spend all their money on advertising & high rents for lots of prime locations and totally forget about needing reasonable quality and/or low prices.

Simple solution, if you must buy a sausage roll (or other baked product), avoid greggs like they're infected with the plague & get one from anywhere else instead. Compare the prices & quality.

If they spend so much for advertising & about 5 shops in Meadowhall then the ingredients for the sausage rolls will be about 2p.

blah blah, remove all the rest of the post...

Bold: That sums it ALL up in one. I would respond, but I know you know it anyway, so I'd be wasting time, and I'm knackered :hihi:

-

Someone could start a thread on this topic alone, and the same people would argue the same things, and it happens all the time. The shortest answer is that the bold is absolutely correct (if 'most' is put before it, but editing other's posts isn't allowed).

And that's why we see the same places on the same big high streets.

Archived