Egyptian language

Hi can anyone explain the difference in Modern Standard Arabic and Egyptian Arabic, I want to learn Egyptian Arabic but all the classes Iv enquired about are MSA. I have started learning a little Egyptian on the web but would like to attend a class and don't want to end up confused if there is a big difference in the two.

Also does anyone know of any native speaking Egyptians here in sheffield who may be prepared to teach me some Egyptian

Thanks

most people of the North African Arabic speaking nations can understand each other.

I don't think that is true in all cases. North Africa is a big place, after all. I have an Egyptian friend who told that she finds many Moroccan people's accents so difficult to understand that she has resorted to speaking to them in French. She can hardly comprehend some of them at all. Whereas she does not have any problems with Saudis, Kuwaitis, etc. But then the distance from Cairo to Rabat, Morocco is more than 2,200 miles. But from Cairo to Jeddah, Saudi, it is less than 800.

There are pronunciation differences, like we have in the scottish "kirk" to the English "church". For example, in Egyptian dialect, the name, Khadijah is pronounced "Khadee gah" with a g as in Golf rather than a g as in Giraffe. The letter Jeem (the Arabic J) is pronounced like a "g".

Well there are a lot of differences and they can't all neccesarily understand each other but generally they all understand standard arabic.

That said egyptian arabic is the most widely spoken and understood of all the dialects, most arabic films are made in egypt you should try watching them to find more conversational egyptian arabic i recommend films with ahmed helmy in them he is very funny :)

Archived