Dear Forum.. can you give me your opinion please.

sorry to hijack this thread. Could you tell me how the samaritans advised you how to handle the situation when threatened? I know in my case it's nowhere near as serious as suicide but my stepson has a habit of making threats or other unreasonable statements ie you're making me homeless, you don't care about me blah blah blah

Hi Elphi -- sorry to hear that you're having to deal with that, I can only imagine the stress it puts you under.

My situation was very different, and probably not applicable. It wasn't a family member nor someone living with me, and it involved a pretty clear case of mental illness.

I did find a good list from the Samaritans in the States, but I don't think it would apply to your case, only to times where suicide is threatened.

I'm sorry I don't have more to offer. Are there any parents on the thread that have had similar problems?

Samaritans NEVER advise

---------- Post added 07-08-2014 at 00:47 ----------

It's in their training

---------- Post added 07-08-2014 at 00:47 ----------

Not allowed ..............

---------- Post added 07-08-2014 at 00:55 ----------

There are Samaritan branches in Sheffield and Rotherham.

It's possible to call in either and have a face to face chat.

---------- Post added 07-08-2014 at 00:56 ----------

Trust me...............

---------- Post added 07-08-2014 at 02:00 ----------

Elphi

Would you not say you have to take a stand and stick to a plan?.

Operative word, stick.

For the young man's good.

Best for him would you say?

---------- Post added 07-08-2014 at 02:05 ----------

Ringing Sheffield Sams would be a good move to ease your mind but it is only a listening service.

Surely you need more practical help.

If he is going to be made homeless then the council are obliged to help and find accommodation.

Only if he is 'vulnerable'.

Most single men over the age of 18 are not classed as vulnerable. The council has no legal duty to houses these types of people. Thus the overwhelming proportion of rough sleepers tend to be men.

*Don't be suckered in.

*It's dummy spitting, not depression.

Another vote, here for dummy spitting.

It sounds like teddy..... is about to leave the pram.

Don't pander to him and his tantrums/ blackmail/ threats.

He is an adult, and if he can't act like an adult, then he needs to shape up or ship out. How long does he actually expect you to carry him for?

As I was saying to another friend of mine who is being "put upon" by another mate of hers, and being expected to chauffeur this mate everywhere, (despite the freeloading mate getting DLA, etc, so she doesn't really need "taxi-ing" everywhere)

I told her, "She's not a mate, she's a freeloader. The first time you do something for someone, it's a pleasant surprise, the second time it becomes expected, and by the third time, it becomes demanded!"

Archived