Blocked ears..yet again

I've always had problems with wax build up since I was a kid but ever since about 2005 I've needed to have them syringed twice sometimes 3 times a year.

I'm now 95-99% deaf in my right ear and have been since last Saturday! I've tried the usual... Olive oil spray, otex drops, hot water bottle. It's just not shifting. I went to the out of hours surgery this morning as it's literally doing my head in! (Gp appointment on Monday which I made Tuesday just gone!!)

Gave me some antibiotics as my narrow canal is red and enflamed and told me not to expect any syringing on Monday.

I don't use cotton buds inside the ear only on the outside ear to clean loose wax.

I've been looking into these on ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ear-Scope-13000-Pixel-from-Coden-/161246392771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258b08b1c3

I'm not obviously going to poke it agresively into my ear but it could be useful to keep an eye on my ear canals in the future. The frequency of having to get them syringed is increasing as I'm getting older.

I've felt rubbish all week and may have to wait another if the nurse isn't prepared to syringe on Monday. :(

If I had a pound for everytime someone said that this week!

I do apologise GRUSS it was a little insensitive of me. My eldest lad never had any problems with his ears until he started work in a machine shop and within a week of him wearing those squidgy little in ear noise thingies developed a very bad infection, he was in agony with it and it took months to sort it out, he had a permanent itch in both ears he just had to constantly scratch until they were actually bleeding.

I am a registered Hearing Aid Audiologist and my advice to you is to ask your GP to refer you to the ENT consultant for further investigation. GP surgeries don't like syringing ears these days because of potential damage to the ear membrane and tend to fob you off with just drops. If you have narrow ear canals, there are procedures to widen the canals if they are creating problems off infection and wax build up. Good luck

I am a registered Hearing Aid Audiologist and my advice to you is to ask your GP to refer you to the ENT consultant for further investigation. GP surgeries don't like syringing ears these days because of potential damage to the ear membrane and tend to fob you off with just drops. If you have narrow ear canals, there are procedures to widen the canals if they are creating problems off infection and wax build up. Good luck

I'm a semi :hihi: qualified gynecologist with a HND in forums. Any ladies need any help?

Are we talking about an operation to widen the canals? Last time I had them done I asked what could be done and if it was normal to have them syringed twice a year, the nurse laughed and told me a bloke came in every month to have his done!

---------- Post added 22-03-2014 at 21:48 ----------

I do apologise GRUSS it was a little insensitive of me. My eldest lad never had any problems with his ears until he started work in a machine shop and within a week of him wearing those squidgy little in ear noise thingies developed a very bad infection, he was in agony with it and it took months to sort it out, he had a permanent itch in both ears he just had to constantly scratch until they were actually bleeding.

No offence taken :-)

Gruss,

There is some eardrops that I use called EXTEROL. I find it to be very good. When you put a few drops in each ear, you can hear the crackling noise of the chemical breaking down & softening the way straight away.

After a few days of using Exterol, I syringe my own ears using a small plastic syringe that can be bought at a pharmacy and they are not expensive. Just half fill the wash basin with warm water and away you go basting the wax out.

Note: You usually have to ask the pharmacy to order Exterol. I go to the pharmacy at Tescos in Rotherham and it is available for collection the next day.

If you have any trouble ordering just PM me.

Archived