Marathon manchester

Total Posts: 147

Hi

We are requested to buy open ear headphones at a cost of £65 I cannot run 4 hours without some music.

What do people suggest?

It is rather expensive to pay £65 for the headphones for one run should I risk it and use my own? Are they really going to stop me mid race?

Also why do they not give money back six weeks before if you have an injury? Surely this is prime time for injuries?

Many Thanks

For me, I'd run without music for a race. Too busy worrying if I'm running at optimal pace or not. Plus, you want to soak up the atmosphere, crowds cheering you on, chatting to other runners, etc etc. £65 for headphones does sound a bit steep though!

---------- Post added 24-03-2014 at 14:48 ----------

Thread on runners world about it: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/do-they-really-mean-it-about-no-headphones-at-manchester-marathon/246325.html

Like Waldo says I'd run without them. One of the best things about longer races is talking to other runners, fully soaking up the atmosphere.

Marathons I've done have not been on fully closed off routes so the organisers have always completely banned headphones for safety reasons - they don't want their competitors to get run over - but as I understand it Manchester is all on closed roads so the safety aspect is not so critical. Your biggest risk is from other runners, and you are usually expected to move out of the way for faster runners behind you so keep in mind that you need to hear them approaching.

£65 though! What a rip off.

So

Do people reckon I should risk it and take my own anyway?

I cant be arsed to talk to people when i run I am a soliatary runner. Plus I have knee injury and just want to get through the course . I cant pull out now no refunds available!

I have arthiritis in my knee and it has got worse to the point where it is constant pain for the full 3 and half hour training runs! Even with chiro and ultrasound it is not easing up!

I dont know where to advertise the place?

I am happy to run as long as I can have earphones do u think they will notice if I have my own on? If so will they stop me mid race ?

I think Jeffrey was referring to the request to buy £65 headphones, not being a requirement; rather than their request for you not to run with headphones, not being a requirement.

Anyhow...

I imagine they *may* disqualify you; but that doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to complete the race. Thing is, if the organisers are making such a fuss about it, you kinda have to respect their wishes.

So for me, that's what I'd do. What other people do, is of course, up to them.

If the knee is a concern, maybe best to sell the place? I was looking at doing it this year, but falls on same date as Sheffield. Quite a few marathons on 6th of April this year, am wondering if they're trying to avoid the London marathon, a week later?

---------- Post added 25-03-2014 at 13:26 ----------

I have arthiritis in my knee and it has got worse to the point where it is constant pain for the full 3 and half hour training runs! Even with chiro and ultrasound it is not easing up!

I dont know where to advertise the place?

I am happy to run as long as I can have earphones do u think they will notice if I have my own on? If so will they stop me mid race ?

You could try selling it on runners world? eBay?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manchester-Marathon-place-/281290961843?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item417e3f73b3

I imagine they'd just DQ you; but could carry on running. But I don't know. Hope the knee issue improves; what did you doctor or physio say about doing the marathon with a bad knee?

Thanks

I think I may risk it and just take my own headphones I dont mind if they disqualify me so long as I can finish it!

Chiro said yes to marathon but not fast I wanted to do it in 330-345 and was on target but have to slow down to 4 hours it lloks like to protect the knee!!

I think it is a disgrace that these people who organise marathons dont give monies back six weeks prior to event. Logically six weeks prior to the event is when people are most likely going to get injured!

Thanks

I think I may risk it and just take my own headphones I dont mind if they disqualify me so long as I can finish it!

Chiro said yes to marathon but not fast I wanted to do it in 330-345 and was on target but have to slow down to 4 hours it lloks like to protect the knee!!

I think it is a disgrace that these people who organise marathons dont give monies back six weeks prior to event. Logically six weeks prior to the event is when people are most likely going to get injured!

No refunds is pretty standard unfortunately. Usely in the T&Cs when you enter.

Archived