A travesty of justice - Egyptian style..

An Egyptian court has sentenced five hundred and twenty eight supporters of former President Mohammed Morsi to death. The sentences were handed out in connection with the death of a single police officer.

Many of those convicted were sentenced in their absence and lawyers say they were given no time to prepare a defence.

This looks like nothing more than vengeance to me and is about the worst way I can imagine for the Egyptian government to deal with the post conflict situation.

BBC news report here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-26712124

It isn't justice. Some of the accused weren't even in court. The lawyers say they had no time to prepare their cases and that the judge was 'veering away from all legal norms''.

Im sure they know more than you read on the internet.

Maybe we take too much time to prosecute people.

An Egyptian court has sentenced five hundred and twenty eight supporters of former President Mohammed Morsi to death. The sentences were handed out in connection with the death of a single police officer.

Many of those convicted were sentenced in their absence and lawyers say they were given no time to prepare a defence.

This looks like nothing more than vengeance to me and is about the worst way I can imagine for the Egyptian government to deal with the post conflict situation.

BBC news report here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-26712124

Not strictly true, read the report again.

The group have been designated a terrorist group ,rightly or wrongly I dont know, and as such are being treated like one

Sabre rattling and political point scoring. I believe many capital sentences have been passed in Egypt but they are usually commuted or just overturned anyway by the Grand Mufti.

They've gone from Military dictatorship to Democratically elected Muslim Govt, to popular front and then back to semi military in about two years. With that sort of upheaval and uncertainty there's bound to be daft recriminations, accusations and dodgy people trying to usurp power.

Im sure they know more than you read on the internet.

Maybe we take too much time to prosecute people.

It's hardly likely to be a sentence that wins the hearts and minds of the people though is it?

More blood shed to follow :(

Archived