How many pubs in Walkley?

Jabsy1978

I'd always thought of that being in Crookes

Over the last decade or so the following have shut...

(Bottom) Freedom, Belle Vue, the Bath, (Top) Freedom, The Royal and the Crown

I'm sure 50 years ago there were even more.

As well as The Sportsman on Walkley Bank Rd.

Being from Walkley (my parents still live there) I find it so sad that all the pubs of my youth have now gone,its quite the opposite to were I now live at Woodseats were in quarter of an hour walk you can get to The White Lion,Sheaf View or The Broadfield all good pubs and even The Cross Scythes seems to be on the up.Compare this to Walkley which has become a desert.

Has the Heavygate closed? I would have put that in Walkley too.

Unfortunately yes, started going downhill after the Two Ronnies left. The disastrous sale of Hardy's and Hanson's to Greene King and their decision to sell the pub was the final nail in the coffin. It is private housing now.

Unfortunately yes, started going downhill after the Two Ronnies left. The disastrous sale of Hardy's and Hanson's to Greene King and their decision to sell the pub was the final nail in the coffin. It is private housing now.

Well there's another bit of my history gone. I lived over the road from the Crown but had the bottom Freedom as my chosen local (week after week of winning the pinball competition in there) and many a Wednesday evening was spent in the Heavygate after medieval reenactment practice in the church hall on South Road. This was 25 years ago BTW, so I wouldn't expect most young people to remember it :)

I'd say that I was sad about these pubs closing down, but it would be rather hypocritical of me to do that, since I hadn't been in any of them for some time before they closed. I don't really drink alcohol so my ability to keep any pub in business is rather limited.

Being from Walkley (my parents still live there) I find it so sad that all the pubs of my youth have now gone,its quite the opposite to were I now live at Woodseats were in quarter of an hour walk you can get to The White Lion,Sheaf View or The Broadfield all good pubs and even The Cross Scythes seems to be on the up.Compare this to Walkley which has become a desert.

I think the area round Walkley is better for pubs than it has been for years - the Blake, Hallamshire & Closed Shop are all decent pubs and within 15 mins of where I live in Walkley.

Archived