Good Indian Restaurants and the worst ones

The Mangla still has yet to be beaten for me, and now I live in Manchester.

For me, nowhere on the curry mile has beaten it and i've been to all the main ones.

Apart from the Mangla, I went to Sahibs and it was alright, the Kashmir Curry Centre is great if you're veggie and Gulshan is decent, just don't have the Karahi (too much garlic).

After extensive trial of the Mangla, (we used to eat there when it was at the other shop and you sat in their back room) I've decided Chicken Bhuna, Meat Karahi, and Meat Dopiaza are some of the best you'll get anywhere.

Wilf

Indeed it is. It makes me smile and reminds me of my childhood. My dad would take me for a curry there instead of taking me to McDonalds when we were in town. I might have felt annoyed at the time but I'm ever so thankful now.

Wilf

The Mangla still has yet to be beaten for me, and now I live in Manchester.

For me, nowhere on the curry mile has beaten it and i've been to all the main ones.

Apart from the Mangla, I went to Sahibs and it was alright, the Kashmir Curry Centre is great if you're veggie and Gulshan is decent, just don't have the Karahi (too much garlic).

I've lived in Sheffield for so long, and never knew such authenticity existed! I will try the ones in Spital Hill now...

If you want a plate of 3 curries and rice for a cheap price. Then there's a little secret place near the back of Arndale on the same side as that fabric shop. Not sure whether it's still there now. It used to be like a greasy cafe, but serves great curries that has been stewed for a long time. So u do get a good taste of the meat in it. Also, instead of the curry mile, try those Asian-looking cafes called Abduls on Oxford Rd. It is so much better...

I've lived in Sheffield for so long, and never knew such authenticity existed! I will try the ones in Spital Hill now...

If you want a plate of 3 curries and rice for a cheap price. Then there's a little secret place near the back of Arndale on the same side as that fabric shop. Not sure whether it's still there now. It used to be like a greasy cafe, but serves great curries that has been stewed for a long time. So u do get a good taste of the meat in it. Also, instead of the curry mile, try those Asian-looking cafes called Abduls on Oxford Rd. It is so much better...

I lived opposite an abduls this year and never went, kicking myself now. Still, Fallowfield in September!

Wilf

• 3 weeks later...

Have been twice in last week to The Sweet Centre on Meadowbank Road, Rotherham (just past Meadowhall). Strongly recommend it - food great, good value & friendly service. The Thalis are excellent - 3 selections of currys, rice, nan bread, sheekh kebab & tandoori chicken all for under £8.(They do Veggie Thalis as well). It's not licensed but you can bring your own booze which makes it even better value. They own an Indian Sweet shop next door so you can have proper Indian Sweets as well!

Archived