Good Indian Restaurants and the worst ones

Mangla is the only place in sheffield where u get a nice dish and its so cheap, the restaurant is the one tgats been here the longest with the same owners/ chefs etc.we have the mangla do the catering fir our boxing shows, the serve over 400 people and honestly not 1 complain...try it ppl

I stopped going to the Mangla when I discovered it had a rating of 1 from the Food Standard Agency, this rating meant it was on the brink of being closed down!

House of Spice on Ecclesall Road is very good.

Ranmoor Tandoori another one to avoid, I had a takeaway which was absolutely foul, it consisted of what could best be described as chopped onions in gravy!! the most bland curry I have ever had (and I have had a few)

Mangla is the only place in sheffield where u get a nice dish and its so cheap, the restaurant is the one tgats been here the longest with the same owners/ chefs etc.we have the mangla do the catering fir our boxing shows, the serve over 400 people and honestly not 1 complain...try it ppl

Top food, 3 of us ate there on Friday, popadoms, 2 starters, 3 mains, 1 x rice, 1 x naan £20 - top notch,great value.

Eating at the Mangla? I can only say you just don't care anymore, cheap but scruffy ... it needs closing down!

Eating at the Mangla is most certainly a risky proposition a 1 food rating means 'urgent improvement necessary' I used to eat there on a regular basis but no more!

the only place that comes close to INDIAN curry is urban choola on London road and even then it is not that authentic in taste.

There are hardly any indian restaurants in UK they are all Kashmiri Pakistani Bangladeshi .

Indian food is mainly vegetarian and if you ate traditional indian food you would not miss meat!

Indian food is nothing like what restaurants serve up. You will not find many indian people running restaurants.

• 3 weeks later...
Eating at the Mangla is most certainly a risky proposition a 1 food rating means 'urgent improvement necessary' I used to eat there on a regular basis but no more!

We went with friends about a year ago now, to Mangla. The food tasted ok but a couple of us were ill the next day, everything pointed to it being something we ate there.

Having lived all around the UK I must say, I don't think Sheffield is blessed with good Indian/Asian restaurants. Birmingham has such a fantastic range of places from the Balti district of Sparkhill to top end places in the city. Manchester has its Rusholme district of cheap but good Indian eateries and top end in the city. We seem to have more middle of the road places that are pretty unremarkable tbh.

The best of which, I would say, is Akbar's on Meadow View Road, between Meadowhall and Rotherham. That strikes a good balance between good food and reasonable prices and the tandoori stuff is particularly good, especially the fish.

I used to think Aagrah in Leopold Square was good when it first opened but have been disappointed on the last few visits to this, "top end", restaurant. Hardly any meat in the curries and service with a snarl.

Enjoyed Jewel down Attercliffe (although depressing décor and no atmosphere). Can't quite understand the fuss about Kashmiri Aroma at Woodseats - think it's ok, but very ordinary, curries a bit bland in terms of spicing. Haven't tried House of Spice of Eccy Road, mainly because it is nearly always empty when I go past, which isn't usually a sign of a good Indian restaurant.

Tried the one on Eccy Road just down from Ashoka - forgotten its name now, but it opened about 18 months ago. Very average.

If I don't feel like making the trek down to Meadowhall area for Akbar's I would probably get a decent takeaway from Takdir at Parkhead (excellent tandoori, average curries) or Mohul at Totley (good curries, average tandoori).

Archived