More gun madness in the USA..

The usual trend with the gun threads is that an incident occurs (either new laws are passed/proposed or a shooting takes place) with the facts being made internationally public. Somebody starts a thread about it, a discussion based on the public knowledge of the incident follows, eventually a couple of people step in and tell us that we (non-Americans) don't know anything, despite the knowledge being internationally publicised for all to see/read.

On several occasions I've called them on it, asking them who exactly has got what wrong and who exactly is hating Americans? They rant on about it yet are unable to provide any such evidence. I've looked back through entire threads before only to find out they've made it up and seem to be just trying to derail a discussion about an issue they don't want discussing.

As a brief example, I have suggested in the past that it's quite easy to implement firmer gun control measures in America without affecting the second amendment in any way. Instead of rational discussion this was met with claims that I (and many others) know nothing about American gun laws and who am I to try and ban guns? (even though I've done nothing of the sort).

I haven't read your proposals but you're right - there is a middle ground when it comes to gun control (not banning them). But on the other hand whilst you can get the absolute facts about a shooting from a selection of news sources from around the globe I'm not sure we can understand the feelings (if that's the right word?? Probably not) from the wider community in the same way someone who lives there can. Does that make sense? If you were to read a report about what happened at Stafford hospital ie the Nhs in its absolute worst light you'd possibly find a lot of Americans advocating its closure or put into private hands. The people of Stafford would say the total opposite.

Anyway gun control. If you could own a pistol and purchase it in a similar way to many places in the US, would you have one?

I haven't read your proposals but you're right - there is a middle ground when it comes to gun control (not banning them). But on the other hand whilst you can get the absolute facts about a shooting from a selection of news sources from around the globe I'm not sure we can understand the feelings (if that's the right word?? Probably not) from the wider community in the same way someone who lives there can. Does that make sense? If you were to read a report about what happened at Stafford hospital ie the Nhs in its absolute worst light you'd possibly find a lot of Americans advocating its closure or put into private hands. The people of Stafford would say the total opposite.

Anyway gun control. If you could own a pistol and purchase it in a similar way to many places in the US, would you have one?

NO

I don't need one

without affecting the second amendment in any way.

Sod the second amendment! Americans throw this into the argument every time they are losing the argument!

Amendments can be changed or scrapped.

Last night I was 'using the lords name in vain', whilst 'coveting my neighbors ox'.

So if it's an issue if I go to America. Not really an issue if I don't though.

America has a very large cultural influence on us, as evidenced by the stream of music, fashion, TV shows, politics, science etc that come over the Atlantic. Most of which is good, a small proportion of which is bad. There is also a similar flow back from us to them of course. It's eminently reasonable as such that we would be more than interested in each others affairs.

The thing is with the gun threads though, the people we're talking about don't deny the facts in the news and don't tend to offer much in the way of a constructive argument or alternative solution.

They tend to just say "Shut up and keep your nose out!"

These days, no, I hardly have time for shooting with the guns I do own, let alone going down to a range to fire handguns. 10 years ago I may well have.

Would I keep it under the pillow for home defence? Of course not.

Sod the second amendment! Americans throw this into the argument every time they are losing the argument!

That's my point, they try using it as an argument and close their ears when you explain that you can take certain kinds of guns away without affecting the second amendment. Or tell you to shut up and keep your nose out.

Amendments can be changed or scrapped.
or amended, even

Last night I was 'using the lords name in vain', whilst 'coveting my neighbors ox'.
I think you're a little off topic there, the Bible isn't the same thing as the bill of rights.

:

I shot them. :hihi:
I'm glad it was you Sierra, and not somebody from Sheffield.:) Here's dear old Halibut going on about Newtown, which happens to be less than forty miles from my home. The killer's mother legally bought the weapons that her son stole, killing her and twenty little ones, and their brave teachers from the only gun store in my small town. Connecticut happens to have the most stringent gun laws in the nation, and yet this terrible thing happened. The state that Halibut was talking about that eased its gun laws was Georgia. There are too many guns in this Country, it has always been so. It comes from a time when there wasn't a supermarket on every street corner, and no law west of the Pecos, so to speak. But a family has a right to defend itself against home invasion or burglary especially in rural areas where Police response can be poor, and a properly registered and maintained handgun, in the hands of a fully trained owner, can provide that. The forum has every right to have an opinion about it and much of what is being said from both sides is valid. But do we have to have the insults and repetition. Do we have to have the gloating about how little it happens in the UK. It has happened there too, and it is just as big a tragedy when it does. There are very few people in the US who even know there is a Sheffield Forum, and not a lot more who even know where Sheffield is, so they're preaching to themselves. There, I've said my piece, you can stay home if you want Harley and wait for the next one. I'm sure it won't be long coming. Perhaps it will be just McDonalds or Hershey Bars and we can have a laugh.:hihi: According to the Sheffield Telegraph, they have more shootings a week than Connecticut does, and we have more people.

• 1 month later...

and it happens again

http://www.salon.com/2014/05/25/ucsb_shooting_update_father_of_the_shooting_victim_calls_out_politicians_and_nra/

but the father of one of the victims states its the fault of politicians and the NRA

“Why did Chris die?” Richard Martinez said at a press conference. “Chris died because of craven, irresponsible politicians and the NRA. They talk about gun rights, what about Chris’ right to live? When will this insanity stop?”

:I'm glad it was you Sierra, and not somebody from Sheffield.:) Here's dear old Halibut going on about Newtown, which happens to be less than forty miles from my home. The killer's mother legally bought the weapons that her son stole, killing her and twenty little ones, and their brave teachers from the only gun store in my small town. Connecticut happens to have the most stringent gun laws in the nation, and yet this terrible thing happened. The state that Halibut was talking about that eased its gun laws was Georgia. There are too many guns in this Country, it has always been so. It comes from a time when there wasn't a supermarket on every street corner, and no law west of the Pecos, so to speak. But a family has a right to defend itself against home invasion or burglary especially in rural areas where Police response can be poor, and a properly registered and maintained handgun, in the hands of a fully trained owner, can provide that. The forum has every right to have an opinion about it and much of what is being said from both sides is valid. But do we have to have the insults and repetition. Do we have to have the gloating about how little it happens in the UK. It has happened there too, and it is just as big a tragedy when it does. There are very few people in the US who even know there is a Sheffield Forum, and not a lot more who even know where Sheffield is, so they're preaching to themselves. There, I've said my piece, you can stay home if you want Harley and wait for the next one. I'm sure it won't be long coming. Perhaps it will be just McDonalds or Hershey Bars and we can have a laugh.:hihi:According to the Sheffield Telegraph, they have more shootings a week than Connecticut does, and we have more people.

When did the Sheffield Telegraph ever say that? That's demonstrably false.

Archived