Buying a cat D car help

Ok so I've seen a really nice looking car at a garage and it's within my price range. However it's been registered as a cat D at the beginning of this year due to a bump/crack on the spare wheel on the back of the 4x4. They claim to have fixed the issue and have put a fresh 12monthsMOT on it. They have highlighted 3 minor advisories which should cost about £100 to sort out when they eventually need doing.

It's also had 9 previous owners but the guy at the garage claims that this shouldn't put me off because 1 owner will be the insurance company, 1 the salvage yard and the other the current garage... So effectively it's only had 6 previous owners. How true is this?

Finally it doesn't have any service history, this hasn't put me off as both me and my partner have had cars in the past with no service history.

Any advice on what people think?

A cat D vehicle is only worth about 75% of an undamaged car so price is about right.

The insurance company may have kept the service history.

Cat d is usually very little or minor damage so should be ok but get it checked by someone who knows cars.

A cat D vehicle is only worth about 75% of an undamaged car so price is about right.

The insurance company may have kept the service history.

Cat d is usually very little or minor damage so should be ok but get it checked by someone who knows cars.

Thanks can insurance company withhold any service history and past mot certificates?

Any idea about the log book owners if that is true that insurance company could be one (my brother had to buy his car back of an Insurance company and resend for his logbook, but he can't remember how many owners it had before to check if this was true that the insurance company became another owner)

Thanks can insurance company withhold any service history and past mot certificates?

Any idea about the log book owners if that is true that insurance company could be one (my brother had to buy his car back of an Insurance company and resend for his logbook, but he can't remember how many owners it had before to check if this was true that the insurance company became another owner)

The insurance company and salvage yard don't go on the logbook as owners and I would assume the mileage is correct unless it is backed up by some paperwork ripe past mots etc..

The insurance company and salvage yard don't go on the logbook as owners.

Thanks do you know that for definite as the garage are adamant that there two owners(insurance and salvage yard)and the garage are the most current owners on the log book. Obv I'm dubious of a car that has had 9 owners but it didn't sound as bad when he explained that it's only really had 6 because the above 3 aren't really owners as such.

It makes me wary of the damage that he's explained as very minor to make it a cat D because they do MOTs at this garage and is there anyway they can fake that too?

Insurance company usually hold the MOT cert but not always the service history

Never heard of them going on the logbook though...smells a bit fishy that!

Get the car looked over by a mechanic....it may be bargain but be carefull!

Thanks do you know that for definite as the garage are adamant that there two owners(insurance and salvage yard)and the garage are the most current owners on the log book. Obv I'm dubious of a car that has had 9 owners but it didn't sound as bad when he explained that it's only really had 6 because the above 3 aren't really owners as such.

It makes me wary of the damage that he's explained as very minor to make it a cat D because they do MOTs at this garage and is there anyway they can fake that too?

Garages and traders fill in the yellow slip of the logbook which let's dvla know a trader has the car, this means the traders name doesn't go down as an owner on the logbook.

Archived