Buying a cat D car help

I'd go in with your eyes open and don't be fooled by the old Cat D is slight damage garbage

I've seen perfectly good older cars written off as Cat C with only minor scratches or a broken window. Some newer cars listed as Cat D are absolutely destroyed. It's all about the cost to settle a claim versus the value of the car.

And never believe what you're told the damage was either, bump / crack on the spare wheel could just as easily be a badly repaired massive rear end impact!

I'd go in with your eyes open and don't be fooled by the old Cat D is slight damage garbage

I've seen perfectly good older cars written off as Cat C with only minor scratches or a broken window. Some newer cars listed as Cat D are absolutely destroyed. It's all about the cost to settle a claim versus the value of the car.

And never believe what you're told the damage was either, bump / crack on the spare wheel could just as easily be a badly repaired massive rear end impact!

Doesn't it have to be properly checked by VOSA before being able to go back on the road? Or could it be that the garage has not done the damage and just issued a new mot to make it look desirable?

Thanks

The insurance company and salvage yard don't go on the logbook as owners and I would assume the mileage is correct unless it is backed up by some paperwork ripe past mots etc..

I would agree with this. It would only go on the paperwork if they used the car as part of their business - pool vehicle etc.

It would help if you (OP) told us the make, model and year so we can advise whether you should overlook the minor inconsistencies or look elsewhere. Personally I'd do the latter.

From Whatcar.com

Cat D is the least serious category. It usually means that the vehicle has suffered light damage but the insurance company's decision to repair it is dependent on the cost of the repairs and the value of the vehicle.

If you're buying a Cat D car, there's no guarantee that it hasn't incurred chassis damage. You can find out for sure by investing in a full mechanical inspection at an approved dealership, or by RAC Inspections.

http://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/vehicle-inspections/essentials

If you buy a Cat D car, make sure your insurance company knows about it, otherwise they might not pay up on any claim.

Ok door appears the spare wheel has been knocked and banged into the middle of the right door causing a small dent (not visible to the eye but to the touch) and the spare wheel cover is cracked.... People are quick to put a claim in for whiplash and the location that it was hit makes it a prime choice for this to be put through an insurance claim. The car is a suzuki jimny 52 plate.

Walk away pal it sounds a bit dodgy to me,there are plenty of cheap motors to be had!.9 owners or even 6 set my alarm bells ringing,with all those owners its bound to have had some mistreatment along the way and then the catergory D on top,its a definite nono leave it alone hang on to your hard earned and keep searching!.

Archived