Buying a cat D car help

Walk away pal it sounds a bit dodgy to me,there are plenty of cheap motors to be had!.9 owners or even 6 set my alarm bells ringing,with all those owners its bound to have had some mistreatment along the way and then the catergory D on top,its a definite nono leave it alone hang on to your hard earned and keep searching!.

This ^^^^. Keep looking.

92,000 miles, new cam belt, clutch, tyres and brakes

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201403252795833/sort/default/usedcars/radius/60/make/suzuki/model/jimny/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/postcode/s11aa/page/1/price-to/2500?logcode=p

... and a bit older

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201403222729748/sort/default/usedcars/radius/60/make/suzuki/model/jimny/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/postcode/s11aa/page/1/price-to/2500?logcode=p

jb

Stacks of good motors around, why buy a bumped 10 owner one.:help:

Take yourself off to the 4x4 auctions, look around and pick your 4x4, stick your hand up when your selected car is brought in, bobs your uncle, fannies your aunt - job done.

Or just look around, there are loads about.:hihi:

Run a mile from the motor you ask for advice on, I would.

Angel1

You can get a bargain with buying a cat D but you have to careful though,they are not very good for resale as people are a bit iffy about buying them,OK if you just want the car for yourself,personally I'm not keen on Jimmy's I prefer Mitsubishi, get it checked over by someone who knows about cars and it should have the vosa inspection sheet with it when you buy it without it you will not be able to get the new v5c sheet from DVLA as DVLA keep all records of insurance write offs even cat c and D write off are registered at the DVLA,so basically you should have the V5 the MOT certificate and the VOSA inspection sheet with it before you can insure and tax it for the road, I think having five or six owners show the car is not very good and has probably been a bit disappointing so they have off loaded it quick.

Walk away pal it sounds a bit dodgy to me,there are plenty of cheap motors to be had!.9 owners or even 6 set my alarm bells ringing,with all those owners its bound to have had some mistreatment along the way and then the catergory D on top,its a definite nono leave it alone hang on to your hard earned and keep searching!.

Best advice so far. There is a major difference between a damaged vehicle repaired by an approved repairer and one bought from a scrap yard and repaired by the local bodge merchant. It may not even be the same car. It might be a total wreck on a bought log book

I wouldn't walk away. I'd run like hell.

Lol thanks for all your advice. Problem I've got is I'm wanting to sell my car to fund one but as no one is interested in offering me anywhere near what I'm asking for then that isn't an option. The garage are willing to do me a px towards any car I want and it just happens that they had a jimny in. I've looked at it myself with a friend it actually seems fine very little rust or anything just the problem is the high owners and cat D the lack of service history doesn't even put me off, as I've had some cars in the past that have had FSH and still been. Bag of rubbish and been neglected in other ways.

I rang the insurance company aswel as DVLA and they informed me that as it's only a cat D it would only need a valid MOT and not have to have a Vic check as this is for cat C cars that have generally suffered chassis damage.

I think to myself yes maybe it has been a let down and people have sold it on to cut there losses or maybe it's just that most people think "I'll get a 4x4 over winter for snow etc" but then they don't realise the difference in drive and also the running costs compared to cars so get rid for that reason?

On the surface it does sound rubbish but if I was to get the price down considerably then with the money I've saved have it serviced and the advisories sorted out. It isn't a car I intend to sell and would probably run it into the ground anyways over the next couple of years. It drives well, looks tidy and doesn't appear to have anything wrong with it, so it could be worth a risk?! :/

Lol thanks for all your advice. Problem I've got is I'm wanting to sell my car to fund one but as no one is interested in offering me anywhere near what I'm asking for then that isn't an option. The garage are willing to do me a px towards any car I want and it just happens that they had a jimny in. I've looked at it myself with a friend it actually seems fine very little rust or anything just the problem is the high owners and cat D the lack of service history doesn't even put me off, as I've had some cars in the past that have had FSH and still been. Bag of rubbish and been neglected in other ways.

I rang the insurance company aswel as DVLA and they informed me that as it's only a cat D it would only need a valid MOT and not have to have a Vic check as this is for cat C cars that have generally suffered chassis damage.

I think to myself yes maybe it has been a let down and people have sold it on to cut there losses or maybe it's just that most people think "I'll get a 4x4 over winter for snow etc" but then they don't realise the difference in drive and also the running costs compared to cars so get rid for that reason?

On the surface it does sound rubbish but if I was to get the price down considerably then with the money I've saved have it serviced and the advisories sorted out. It isn't a car I intend to sell and would probably run it into the ground anyways over the next couple of years. It drives well, looks tidy and doesn't appear to have anything wrong with it, so it could be worth a risk?! :/

Looks like you have made ya mind up:) could very well turn out to be a decent car,only time will tell.

Problem I've got is I'm wanting to sell my car to fund one but as no one is interested in offering me anywhere near what I'm asking for then that isn't an option. The garage are willing to do me a px towards any car I want and it just happens that they had a jimny in.

Co-incidence or are they offering you an above average PX offer because the Jimny is such a bad buy and they're desperate to get rid?

You might gain a bit of money in the PX but you need to factor in if this one is going to be a money pit and how little it will be worth when you come to sell it on.

You said:

the garage are adamant that there two owners(insurance and salvage yard)and the garage are the most current owners on the log book. Obv I'm dubious of a car that has had 9 owners but it didn't sound as bad when he explained that it's only really had 6 because the above 3 aren't really owners as such.

There's some reason its had so many previous owners and the garage has lied or misled about the other owners.

Listen to the sound advice on here and not your heart.

Archived