Candy Crush Saga.. 7 billion dollars

Although I'd never pay for something from Candy Crush, the game is boring to me but anyway.

What's the difference in paying for games either through in game purchases or buying the game, and buying a film, or going to the theater?

People get genuinely excited by games, just as people do by movies and plays, they're entertainment and people always have and always will pay to be entertained.

Don't you know how they structure the game? They make you pay for extra lives, and they make the game hard cos they strip away the normal basic things which you get. So you try and get to this point, and then they hang you in mid air and hope that you will pay.

It takes a lot of will power to pull back and not pay. I don't like this concept all that much. I can guess how addictive it can be too though. Imagine all the little kids paying for this with their pocket money ? It's like gambling.

---------- Post added 27-03-2014 at 14:31 ----------

TBH, I think Apple (with the Appstore on its closed ecosystem, more than Google's PlayStore) and Zuckerberg single-handedly rebooted the dot.com bubble a couple of years ago.

$14bn (beeellions) for Whatsapp?

$2bn for Oculus Rift (still on prototype/devkit v1.0 and taking pre-orders for prototype/devkit v2.0)?

A $7bn valuation for a 1-trick-pony (match 3+ gameplay...like noone with a Nintendo DS ever played touchscreen Zookeeper, nevermind the countless non-touch others before) mobile game developer?

It's monopoly money.

Come back, boo.com, all is forgiven :hihi:

Zuckerberg did not reboot the economy. Don't be daft. Maybe you are giving him too much credit. After the initial big "boom" of the IT bubble, a lot of people cannot foresee, or did not want to pay for these companies because the business models were not working. i.e. not have the people behind them to pay and it does not end up in a sale. Hence, why suddenly everyone in Silicon Valley as well as Wall Street investors, wanted to make the business happens. A lot of small start up caught a second wave in Silicon Valley and went and aim for that big social media wave. i.e. MORE people = MORE money. With small amount of money per person.

That is why it became this boom and this big wave. Everybody knows that this is the only way, but to be honest, who would pay ? All the silly teens went and wrote apps which then gave it away to Apple for free. Whereas you used to pay a coder to write them, but suddenly everyone was doing things for free. But who is earning? Apple. It is a lot of hired hands for how much ? Not very much. Imagine this was a sustainable business model, many people would have also been millionaires by now too.

I am not quite sure if such companies being so large how this would affect the economy that they are a part of. Because it then means that they will affect the other start ups. Maybe there should be laws now governing this areas. Apple started to lock down on copyright by per country already.

The most playable games have the most simple and classic concepts. I kept all my old games. :)

Did you know that a lot of people got paid by these agencies to continue clicking in order to gain more market share and hence it gives the idea and the stats to show these investors the feasibility is there. It really is just buying time if there are no solid sales behind all of this kind of thing.

Their company isn't worth $7bn, they know it as does the stock market.

Their stock tanked on the first day of trading, it lost 15% of it's value already.

It's the same sorry story as Zygna, they're about 60% lower than their IPO.

Zuckerberg did not reboot the economy. Don't be daft.
Where have I said anything remotely like "Zuckerberg rebooted the economy", salsafan? :confused:

Please do not put words into my mouth, so that you can then call me daft :|

Maybe you are giving him too much credit.
Really? Do you think so?

So, you think paying $14bn for Whatsapp was good value?

And $2bn for a 14 months-old startup with a loss-making prototype drip-fed to a smaller-than-niche audience and 0% share of a inexistent and unproven market was also good value?

Jaysus. You're not a market analyst, are you? :hihi:

The purchase for the VR company might have been less about their product and more about the patents and possible products they could make from them (or just licence it out)

Was Whatsapp more about purchasing the competition rather than it's actual value (because it was a huge price)

Either way FB has money to burn, it's not a drop in the ocean for them so why not pay top dollar.

Where have I said anything remotely like "Zuckerberg rebooted the economy", salsafan? :confused:

Please do not put words into my mouth, so that you can then call me daft :|

Really? Do you think so?

Sorry. I apologise for calling you daft.

You wrote that he "single-handedly" rebooted the dot com bubble and that is not true.

and Zuckerberg single-handedly rebooted the dot.com bubble a couple of years ago.

So, you think paying $14bn for Whatsapp was good value?

I didn't pay for Whatsapp. Are you trying to insinuate again ?

Anyway, I thought the hype is about data, but then Zuckerberg got cheated out of, didn't he ?

And $2bn for a 14 months-old startup with a loss-making prototype drip-fed to a smaller-than-niche audience and 0% share of a inexistent and unproven market was also good value?

Jaysus. You're not a market analyst, are you? :hihi:

I also do not see the future well for this company as many others also predict. Surely you can tell that, right ?

Anyway, I do not like him all that much. If you watch the movie, then you will know. It is a typical story of US grad student fighting and cheated his mate out of their fair share of the company, and then got venture capitalists investors to propel himself above its struggle to gain further market shares.

Then Boris tries to say that UK need the same type of companies to be like that. I think he is nuts.

I knew how much Candy Crush was making per day. (approx £400,000)

It is a downloadable game (app) worth an estimated $7billion. The floating on the NY Stock Exchange will earn the owners in the region of £500,000,000 each.

It does make me wonder... I thought about 10 or 15 years ago that some company like Nokia would be one of the biggest companies on the planet in the future. It's just not going that way (other than Apple). The work load and technology to build the Nokia and keep it going must have been huge. And what profit did/do they make now? Quite frankly, what's the point of all that effort when an App can make so much money?

Granted this is perhaps a one off, but the wonder is it worth companies building the advanced technology for someone to come along and take huge amounts of money from a bit of tech work?!

(again other than Apple)

And people moan about how much footballers earn!!??

I know that King have made other games, but 99% of their income must come from Candy Crush.

Also, they ripped the idea off. It's a copy of a game called Candy Swipe!!

Sorry. I apologise for calling you daft.

You wrote that he "single-handedly" rebooted the dot com bubble and that is not true.

I didn't pay for Whatsapp. Are you trying to insinuate again ?

Anyway, I thought the hype is about data, but then Zuckerberg got cheated out of, didn't he ?

I also do not see the future well for this company as many others also predict. Surely you can tell that, right ?

Anyway, I do not like him all that much. If you watch the movie, then you will know. It is a typical story of US grad student fighting and cheated his mate out of their fair share of the company, and then got venture capitalists investors to propel himself above its struggle to gain further market shares.

Then Boris tries to say that UK need the same type of companies to be like that. I think he is nuts.

Boris is nuttier than squirrel ****. I thought everyone knew that.

You do know that The Social Network isn't a documentary, don't you? He took an idea and made it happen. It's not his fault that he was/is a programming genius, who was in the right place at the right time.

And, if you ask me, Facebook is the reason why these games are so popular. Yes, they are available as mobile apps, but it's through Facebook that these tiny apps get to a global audience, through customers logging on through Facebook. It's such a simple and yet genius idea!

Bubble 2.0

These extremities are just the tip of the iceberg. There are still loads of people out there with a half-baked idea that get a million here and a million there in the hope that it is the next big thing. The whole thing is driven by hedge-funds looking for a quick return.

Facebook has lasted longer than I thought it would, but I still think they will be replaced by the next hype in a few years time.

Archived