Time for big six energy companies to refund customers

Do they invest money though? They say the same thing every year and I haven't seen any improvement. I suspect they limit supply to try and justify a higher charge and therefore profit. It's not just the power business too but perhaps most business fields; the oil industry and OPEC have a history of doing it. No doubt the power generators/retailers be angling for some public money he to help subsidise their private business.

Supply has kept pace with the population increases so they must have been investing in new generation and I haven't had a power cut since privatisation.

Supply has kept pace with the population increases so they must have been investing in new generation and I haven't had a power cut since privatisation.

No, we import the shortfall across submarine HVDC cables from Holland and France

---------- Post added 30-03-2014 at 11:44 ----------

It might, or it might slow down investment into new infrastructure and cause the lights to go out. Its in the best interests of energy companies to supply us with energy when we want it, so if the lights go out they won't be making money which is clear incentive to invest money to make sure they can supply us with energy. There is no point in them increasing supply if we don't want it, and there are clear incentives for them to increase supply as we demand more.

The way the market is structured they just have to keep energy flowing. They can generate it or import it.

I'd rather they generated more of it because relying on other countries reduces our energy security.

No, we import the shortfall across submarine HVDC cables from Holland and France

---------- Post added 30-03-2014 at 11:44 ----------

The way the market is structured they just have to keep energy flowing. They can generate it or import it.

I'd rather they generated more of it because relying on other countries reduces our energy security.

Who installed the submarine HVDC cables? And to generate more wouldn't we have to import the materials to build more power stations and the fuel needed to generate the power? Either way we are reliant on other countries.

We simply don't have the resources in the UK to to sustain such a large population without being dependent on other countries, obviously we can build more wind, and invest into wave generation but we will still need to import the materials needed to build them.

Who installed the submarine HVDC cables? And to generate more wouldn't we have to import the materials to build more power stations and the fuel needed to generate the power? Either way we are reliant on other countries.

We simply don't have the resources in the UK to to sustain such a large population without being dependent on other countries, obviously we can build more wind, and invest into wave generation but we will still need to import the materials needed to build them.

Your argument was that we are meeting demand so must be increasing generation - I was just pointing out a flaw in that argument.

The links will have been built by National Grid or its predecessors.

You're right we will probably never be 100% self sufficient but we should be aiming to be as self-sufficient as possible. Renewables are a part of the way forward and the UK has unusually abundant sources for renewable energy generation.

---------- Post added 30-03-2014 at 13:24 ----------

I cannot help it if you choose to wifully and mendaciously read things that are not there.

As I said, I'll wait for my apology. It's very odd that it's only really you that I have to request apologies from. I wonder why that is...

You can also try and find out where I was "vigorously defending" the energy industry. Good luck because you wont find it.

I only asked you basic questions about your stance on energy prices.

I think he's one of them who thinks people should only have everyday necessities if they can personally afford them. You one only have to look through his posts to see what kind of person he is.

Whatever happened to power companies saying prices will have to increase because of the increase in wholesale prices? The goalposts have moved once again.

So you'd agree that I wasnt vigorously defending the energy companies then? Being as you cannot show where I was... Ivanova may have been defending them but that's not me.

---------- Post added 30-03-2014 at 14:26 ----------

I think he's one of them who thinks people should only have everyday necessities if they can personally afford them. You one only have to look through his posts to see what kind of person he is.

You think wrong Mecky. As for the type of person - at least I don't lie about others and wriggle like a gaffed fish when people ask awkward questions - and then throw my toys about and whine when people demand that I account for myself.

• 5 months later...

Just wondering if anyone's heard of Green Star Energy , in the pub last night talking to someone who said they are planning to storm the British market with clean energy at lower prices by getting rid of fat bonus's to the big wigs and using that to bring the price down.

sounds too good to be true to me.

i cant really find any positive news links on the web,i've found their site ,

thats it .

Any thoughts anyone?

Archived