Sheffield Museums

Northerner

Why is it called "Museum Sheffield" and not Sheffield Museum? Turning words round like that really annoy me. "Activity Sheffield" and "Team GB" are other examples.

Unfortunetly, I don't speak English well because I'm foreigner. But I would like to know about the exhibition more.

---------- Post added 28-03-2014 at 22:41 ----------

Which museum?

Hi,

As far as I know museum is called Weston Park.

---------- Post added 28-03-2014 at 22:50 ----------

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 12:19 ----------

Hello all,

I regret I was wrong. Metalwork Collection is not in Weston Park. It is in Millennium Gallery.

There is a trade catalogue advertising the products of Walker & Hall Ltd in Millennium Gallery. Date (Made/Found): around 1929. Accession Number 2007,32.

Has anybody seen the catalogue? Are there any tea glass holders in it?

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to post something about the current status of Sheffield Museums. The decision to reduce funding to Sheffield Museums by the Arts Council was a huge blow to the cultural offer of Sheffield. However what I find difficult to accept is 1) Much smaller cities manage to fund and run many more museums that Sheffield (e.g. Cambridge) 2) Comparably sized cities are either maintaining more museums (and opening hours) than Sheff or opening new ones (e.g. Bristol & Liverpool) or 3) London continues to take a disproportionate amount of public funding for its Arts even when its population/tourist pull is taken into account.

Clearly most cities (esp Northern ones) are making difficult decisions about what their councils fund but I just think Sheff has to become more savvy about how it gets funding for its museums and how its cultural offer is central to its marketing/tourism strategy. It amazes me that Sheff has the recently renamed 'National Emergency Services Museum' which remains run by volunteers. I really like aspects of this museum but I do think it's a huge opportunity wasted when a much bigger, part privately funded, 21st century 'national' museum could be built that would really revitalise West Bar. How many private companies wouldn't be interested in funding - and being associated with - a museum dedicated to our emergency services? How many adults and kids wouldn't be genuinely interested in going to a museum based on the emergency services? Equally politically it would be more difficult not grant fund centrally if solid business plans were submitted. There is such a story to be told in engaging and exciting ways.

It would be interesting to hear other views on this issue generally or other ideas for museums that could realistically be funded. I'm sure but we just need to be a bit more creative, innovative and aspirational. The people of Sheff & our kids deserve it!

Archived