Nearly scammed by someone in Nigeria

On Gumtree and Ebay you get alot of these, I was once naiive too- luckily the PO chap advised/warned me and gave me a receipt anyway, to input on ebay to prove his point.

Sure enough, the buyer thought I'd posted it and showed his true colours, except that I hadn't posted it. He got a broadside that day.

This is a wind up isnt it?

You must've come from the moon if you havent heard about the Nigerian internet scams

'Nigerian scams' aren't much different from our insurance companies!

They send out 1000s and 1000s of scams and hope a few take the hook. Someone always will. They wouldn't do it otherwise.

(and 'Nigerians' aren't much better) :)

Are Nigerian scams common as I think I was nearly scammed today?

The person asked me to send a phone to Nigeria for their son who was schooling overseas, he said he would send £50 extra for shipping.

I said to him as long as I get my money up front I will ship wherever he wants.

So this morning I got an email from a foreign bank saying that they had sent a payment but it was pending until I sent them the tracking number and then the funds would be released.

It all looked legit and to be honest I was ready to do it but after I read the email again I noticed a lot of spelling mistakes in the message which was supposedly from the bank.

I never sent it and he has been bugging me all day trying to convince me to post it there's no way I'm doing it now, I never even knew about these sort of scams.

You say the bank email says they had sent payment?

Sent payment to where? Youve not given them your bank details have you?!

The person asked me to send a phone to Nigeria for their son who was schooling overseas, he said he would send £50 extra for shipping.

So this morning I got an email from a foreign bank saying that they had sent a payment but it was pending until I sent them the tracking number and then the funds would be released.

It all looked legit and to be honest I was ready to do it but after I read the email again I noticed a lot of spelling mistakes in the message which was supposedly from the bank.

I never sent it and he has been bugging me all day trying to convince me to post it there's no way I'm doing it now, I never even knew about these sort of scams.

Say its in the post and thank them for doing business with you. :hihi:

This is the best rule to follow, if it sounds too good to be true then it isn't true, there is no such thing as easy money.

I had an email from BT/Yahoo email asking me to update due to changes. I almost responded because I know there are changes happening.

I decided against due to the spelling errors and bad grammar.

Trouble is these days, even legitimate business letters/emails may have errors due to poor English standards of some school leavers.

Well, if it was genuine no doubt I will find out sooner or later.

Archived