Ban on sending books into prisons - why?

100% annebb, education is the key. Some do want to reform.

(It's alice, actually...)

Yes. And it is barking mad to deny education or the chance of self-improvement to anyone who shows the slightest spark of motivation for it.

Spot on Mr

Cheers Boothy; the thing that the witless types don't realise is that that prisoner could be me, or you, or someone that we love...

people who whine about tv or games consoles haven't got a clue; when you're locked up you're locked up - no playstation game's going to make it different.

Another predictably crass response.

Agreed. But it's hardly worth taking issue with - the Daily Wail has been whingeing in this way for decades without any real evidence of what (it says) happens in prisons. The TV/Playstations thing has become a tedious cliché.

It may be that remand prisoners (ie not yet convicted, therefore still legally innocent) are allowed them in their cells, but convicted prisoners are not.

The first question I'd ask anyone who claims prison is like a holiday camp is 'Have you ever been locked up?'.

I have, twice , only for a few hours each time - and it's bloody horrible.

What a court sent you to prison... Twice.. For a three hour sentence :huh:

What a court sent you to prison... Twice.. For a three hour sentence :huh:

Probably for contempt of court for shouting daft stuff from the public gallery, telling the Judge how to go on.

---------- Post added 31-03-2014 at 04:05 ----------

I must admit this sounds pretty logical if they are doing it for security reasons, but only as long as they have a good library service in the prison where you could request them to get books in that they may not have on site.

I read loads of books in prison and its a good escape from the four walls and the day to day routines.

So you are saying you have to lock them up mentally as well ?

Don't you think that that is a little excessive ?

You lock people up like that and you will have them climbing up the walls and coming out with mental issues that they did not come in with, I'm sure that will help society on release.

I would lock fewer up, reduce length of sentences, and have them working 12 hours a day, leaving them with no time for leisure activities. :)

Archived