Ban on sending books into prisons - why?

Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has been referred to previously.

Apparently in Brazil they have a prison programme called 'Redemption through reading'.

Prisoners in Brazil can reduce their sentences by up to 48 days a year by reading works of literature , philosophy and science.

To qualify for the reduction in sentence they have to submit a grammatically correct and legible essay on each subject.

This helps to improve both educational standards and overcrowding in prisons and also hopefully reduces reoffending.

Personally, I would limit this opportunity to certain types of offenders, those who do not pose a physical threat to the general public would be allowed to participate, those who would hopefully benefit by it would be included, and those who would use it as a means to cause further harm to people upon release would be excluded.

I can see the problem with regard to having to examine every book sent in by prisoners friends and relations for contraband but obviously the books in this instance would by supplied by the prison service.

China also charges a bullet fee to the executed prisoners relatives. :o

I wouldn't put it past them.

And since I started this thread a few days ago, at least twenty-seven more people have been executed by the Chinese state. Vile regime.

I wouldn't put it past them.

And since I started this thread a few days ago, at least twenty-seven more people have been executed by the Chinese state. Vile regime.

778 criminals were executed last year, which isn't very many out of a population of 1,355,692,544 people.

China has one of the most abusive and abused criminal justice systems in the world. To quote just one example from Amnesty Internationals recent report on China -

''Criminal defendants faced routine violations of the right to a fair trial and other rights, including denial of access to their lawyers and family, detention beyond legally allowed time frames, and torture and other ill-treatment in detention. The use of torture to extract confessions remained widespread.''

If you think a system like that is worth emulating, there is something wrong with you.

Not unlike the USA then?

---------- Post added 02-04-2014 at 09:45 ----------

778 criminals were executed last year, which isn't very many out of a population of 1,355,692,544 people.

I was in China some months ago the city of Xian. At about 9pm I was walking back to my Hotel through a public park, in the park were a large number of people, all of pension age, they were enjoying the perfectly maintained park, the hanging lanterns, some were dancing, others playing cards other board games.

As I stood and watched I was approached by a senior Police Officer, on foot, patrolling with another junior Officer, he was obviously keen to practice his English and we talked for some time, I told him that the old people seemed very content and stated that in England it would be unusual for people of this age to feel safe enough to resort to a public park at night. He seemed surprised at this. I asked him what the penalty would be for any person who robbed or assaulted such a person. His reply was instructive, "death".

In other words clear proof that harsh penalties work.

Where in the UK would pensioners feel perfectly safe at 9pm? Where in the Uk would you find a senior Police officer on duty and on patrol?

Why not take the comment on face value, why judge it by your own low standards?

Anecdotel evidence is anecdotel evidence. It is what it is. I made no comment on its value.

If you want people to support capital punishment then you need more than a story about talking with a chinese policeman.

Anecdotel evidence is anecdotel evidence. It is what it is. I made no comment on its value.

If you want people to support capital punishment then you need more than a story about talking with a chinese policeman.

You need to come up with a contrary and plausible alternative rather then seek to denigrate and belittle opinions contrary to your own.

Archived