Is my car spying on me?

If you buy a Ford car these days and have the Blue Tooth enabled should your airbag go off for any reason the car assumes that you have been involved in an accident and dial the emergency services with the location etc.

I know of company cars where the on board sat-nav data is available on the company computer, so not only are the cars tracked but the average speed etc is available between way points. So if you set off late and make up time on the motorway Big Brother knows about it.

OK. So the Emergency Assistance as fitted to some Fords only works when you connect your mobile phone to the car via Bluetooth. The system itself does not have it's own method of dialing out, it uses your phone, connected via Bluetooth to make a GSM based connection.

Vehicle tracking systems have their own GSM connection, which is a mobile phone type connection that carries data only.

Again, neither of these systems use Bluetooth to connect to external sources outside the vehicle.

Bluetooth is a SHORT-RANGE wireless communication method.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/connecteddrive/2013/connectivity_technologies/index.html

It's built into the iDrive system that lurks behind the dashboard or centre console, depending on the vehicle model.

thats good to know i wondered how the button in the roof lining worked to make sos/999 emergency calls without my phone if required.

why would you take it out? the dealers know when you need a service just from plugging the key fob in, this system doesnt report service intervals directly.

My VW has a constant countdown for servicing for a year and 10,000 miles from its previous one. When it gets down to a month it brings the message up every time you start the engine- it was serviced on Wednesday so it's stopped nagging me now.

As for the dealers emailing you, I don't know, but I'm still getting insurance quotes through for a car that I sold 6 years ago.

Mine too, although the reset is at 12000 miles and 12 months. After I get the car serviced they reset the computer. At first it says 12 months and 12000 miles to next service, but it constantly adjusts. So if you go away for 3 weeks when you get back the service moves back. However if we do a continental road trip the service is brought forward. The car even changes the clock for different time zones. Then when it gets to 30 days the computer puts the information up on the screen rather than you having to manually check. With the mileage I do my 12 month service generally comes around after about 10 1/2 months and 15000 miles.

The answer is no, the dealers send you a letter knowing you are likely due for your 18 month service, the car computer keeps track of the time as well, so that told you that you are due a service as well.

As you bought a car from a brand with a national dealer network, they share your data with other dealers, as your purchase place is far away they presumably flagged your service up with two dealers nearer to you, as you are unlikely to drive 150 miles for service.

Our Volvo has had this system for years.

Yep my Volvo is the same:roll:

Archived