Undervaluing Royal Mail cost UK Taxpayers 750m.

Are you saying that all their advisors said they were aiming too low...? Are you also saying that City bankers are now to be trusted? Genuine questions by the way..not having a pop.. :) ..how much would RM have cost the tax payer if it hadn't been sold? Again another question...

sorry, i could have made that post a bit clearer - as i understand it, their (official) advisers told them that 330 was about right as if it was much higher it would put off some institutional investors

it is other financial advisers and institutions who were telling the government that it was too low - they were not advisers to the Government

"city bankers" is a very broad term - some are capable and trustworthy, some are unscrupulous and not very good at their jobs, some are unscrupulous and very good at their jobs, but they have a different agenda to the government and a different motivation

how much would RM have cost the taxpayer if it hadn't been sold? i have no idea - not wanting to appear as if i'm trying to sound clever, but it depends what you mean by cost - if the sale had been aborted there would no doubt have been many millions to pay in fees to advisers in any event, but the company makes a profit which, theoretically at least, would go to the treasury if it was still a publicly owned company

sorry, i could have made that post a bit clearer - as i understand it, their (official) advisers told them that 330 was about right as if it was much higher it would put off some institutional investors

it is other financial advisers and institutions who were telling the government that it was too low - they were not advisers to the Government

"city bankers" is a very broad term - some are capable and trustworthy, some are unscrupulous and not very good at their jobs, some are unscrupulous and very good at their jobs, but they have a different agenda to the government and a different motivation

how much would RM have cost the taxpayer if it hadn't been sold? i have no idea - not wanting to appear as if i'm trying to sound clever, but it depends what you mean by cost - if the sale had been aborted there would no doubt have been many millions to pay in fees to advisers in any event, but the company makes a profit which, theoretically at least, would go to the treasury if it was still a publicly owned company

By cost I mean what investment is needed in RM to enable it to pay it's way..obviously this is not now the responsibility of the tax payer..so are we gaining or losing by having sold at the price we did..?

By cost I mean what investment is needed in RM to enable it to pay it's way..obviously this is not now the responsibility of the tax payer..so are we gaining or losing by having sold at the price we did..?

based on a quick internet search (BBC & Sky news), annual profits before tax in 2012/13 were approx. £400m and profits for the first 6 months of 2013/14 (i.e. to the end of September 2013) were £283m

so it was already paying its way - which is not to say it doesn't require further investment

it is forecast that they will pay a dividend to shareholders of £133m, some of which will come to the Government as we are still a large shareholder

we gained by receiving a few billion from the sale of the shares, we lost the profit the company makes - it's swings and roundabouts - the money we got for the shares is probably equivalent to about 10 years profit - it's probably a political decision as to which you think is better

philosophically, the government prefers RM to be privately owned and prefers the £2bn or so windfall they got to set against the budget deficit

I think it has potentially cost more than £750m. In monetary terms we have to wait until we see what strategy is for postal prices. There are obvious ongoing implications there for individual taxpayers and businesses. In social terms we have to see what the strategy is in terms of strength of commitment to unviable but socially critical services - there could be a serious impact there in the coming years.

And a massive error in the commons today from Cameron. He had to invoke the argument about the gold sale. It is universally accepted that the gold sell-off was well less than perfectly managed but Cameron's strategy today was to try and excuse a massive coalition error by trying to argue that Labour had made an even bigger error. Implicit acceptance there that the RM sell off was flawed.

The other thing that made me chuckle is that Cameron inflated the losses due to the gold sale from 6bn to 9bn. It seems that bags of political hot air inflate even faster than house prices.

Cue Obelix to argue the gold sale was the greatest crime of the last 100 years.

Do we know who the 'priority investors' were that were supposed to be in it for long haul but sold out within weeks? It says they were mainly pension funds... smells like a pension fund bailout by stealth. :suspect:

I still haven't seen this question answered. Priority was given to certain investors on the understanding they'd provide a stable long term investment.

They sold up after about 10 minutes, pocketed millions and laughed all the way to the bank. What guarantees were given? What correspondence was there between Cable and his dept and these so called long term investors?

I still haven't seen this question answered. Priority was given to certain investors on the understanding they'd provide a stable long term investment.

They sold up after about 10 minutes, pocketed millions and laughed all the way to the bank. What guarantees were given? What correspondence was there between Cable and his dept and these so called long term investors?

There was no such agreement, nothing to lock in the 16 preferred investors that had been chosen on the basis that they would be long-term investors.

Six of those high quality long-term investors jumped off board within weeks, bagging huge profits.

Of others we know that Standard Life sold 99% of the 12m RM shares it purchased within weeks. There was no lock in and Standard Life made a legal and rational decision in the best interests of its policy holders. It seems that the low price that was supposed to attract long-term investors actually led to them walking away because of the huge short-term profits to be made.

• 1 month later...

Archived