McDonalds employees past present and future.

I came to Dallas, San Francisco, Wacaville, right down the west coast as far as Cambria, across to Yosemite and Sequoia NPs, Las Vegas and a few other places in between.

Clean - yes

Inexpensive - not particularly (exchange rate was not great at the time)

Polite - yes

Choice and quality of food - limited. Huge portions of meat, but virtually nothing for vegetarians. Accompaniments were generally fat/carbs, not fresh vegetables. Fries, fries and more fries. Salads were a joke, drowned in mayo. Fish dishes OK but expensive.

Very wasteful - saw lots of people leave a quarter or more of the food on their plate, uneaten. Portions sizes are ridiculous.

Even if I ate meat (which I don't) I would still have struggled to eat out healthily. Far too much fat and refined carbohydrate, not enough complex carbs.

Believe me, you have no reason to be complacent about your food.

so your vast experience of American food comes from a WHOLE month among the tourist traps of the Pacific West. I guess they saw you coming. Mine come from 46 years of the East Coast and the Mid West and Canada. I've also spent quite a lot of time in the San Francisco and Seasttle areas. I agree somewhat with your views there . Prices are high in the best places, but since I don't eat like a rabbit, I can usually find something to eat at reasonable price. NYC is expensive or at least Manhattan is, but it's easy to get a good breakfast with unlimited coffee for under $10.00 anywhere, steak dinner for under $15.00 with coffee, salad and dessert. Believe me, I have every reason to be complacent about our food.. I have long experience of both our Countries, and am glad I live here. Perhaps with your obvious dislike of all things American, you should not bother us with your presence, though we'd like your money. How about a couple of weeks on the Costa Brava for some bingo and Red Barrel, or Skegness in a caravan.

so your vast experience of American food comes from a WHOLE month among the tourist traps of the Pacific West. I guess they saw you coming. Mine come from 46 years of the East Coast and the Mid West and Canada. I've also spent quite a lot of time in the San Francisco and Seasttle areas. I agree somewhat with your views there . Prices are high in the best places, but since I don't eat like a rabbit, I can usually find something to eat at reasonable price. NYC is expensive or at least Manhattan is, but it's easy to get a good breakfast with unlimited coffee for under $10.00 anywhere, steak dinner for under $15.00 with coffee, salad and dessert. Believe me, I have every reason to be complacent about our food.. I have long experience of both our Countries, and am glad I live here. Perhaps with your obvious dislike of all things American, you should not bother us with your presence, though we'd like your money. How about a couple of weeks on the Costa Brava for some bingo and Red Barrel, or Skegness in a caravan.

Bit nasty as a reply isn't it? Vegetarians are rabbits are they? :suspect:

It doesn't take a lot to see that Americans don't treat their food in the right way, not criticising America for that, it is just a fact of life - and no, I am not suggesting all Americans eat poorly, but when it comes to attitudes towards food I'd rather be in the Italian camp.

Nasty indeed - and ignorant. Most vegetarians eat a greater variety of food than most meat eaters. Gratuitous insults do nothing to persuade us that your views are worth considering.

I described my experience of eating out and buying ingredients in various places in the States over a month in the summer - I did not claim to be a conoisseur of American food or restaurants, but a month travelling around eating out in different places gives you are reasonable snapshot of everyday eating in a country. I have never evinced a dislike of 'all things American'; that would be ridiculous and if it were the case, why would I choose to spend a month there on holiday? I had a great time and met a shedload of lovely people and went to some amazing places. All I said was that I wasn't impressed with the food!

I'm more than happy to accept that if you eat a lot of meat, and drink a lot of coffee, America is going to offer you a reasonable variety, but as explained above, I don't..and even if I had, what was on offer was unhealthily fatty and carb-laden. The recommended healthy portion of protein per meal for an adult is 4 oz. Steaks in the US are often 16 oz, even 24 oz. It's obscene. Plus, it was difficult to find healthy food to cook for myself - I spent a lot more time traipsing around finding decent food shops than I would in comparable sized towns in Europe.

Don't take it personally, but America has lost its way with food even more disastrously than Britain has. It's why you have an epidemic of obesity, diabetes, and coronary disease even worse than ours.

The best holiday destination for me is still France, despite their obsession with meat - at least the bread, vegetables and cheeses are fresh, delicious and easy to find.

You may also find this quite surprising too AliceBB if I tell you. I think you will have a goat if you realised how the world is sometimes.

To me, I know about the Nova Scotia thing and the Rice Burgers because yes, I also used to make it a travel "thing" to taste a McDonald in each and everything country that I visit just as a novelty anyway. I remember meeting a Japanese friend from uni and he told me of his journey and this was what got me curious to begin with in this aspect of the fast food industry.

In SE Asia, people, or rather, parents do not necessarily take their children to eat in a McDonald for the food, but they buy these silly toys in the Happy Meals to keep their children happy. When the first time Happy Meals had exclusive IP rights to create and sell some unique Hello Kitty toys, all the parents will go to great lengths to queue and get one of these, and then they will dump the burger into the bin. the toy when it is finished and done with, would be sold on Ebay for like $50, or as much as $100. When the "Beanie Babies" came out in Canada, you have no idea how much McDonald made in terms of the Happy Meals. It is no longer a nutritious meal for them, but a way to make money. Through licensing of special "one off" toys. Which if you are lucky, it may retain value in the second-hand toy market. That is how unethical and wasteful it has become.

http://news.foodmate.com/201307/news_20864.html

http://marrythaigirlsingapore.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/mob-bullying-macdonalds-employee-over.html

http://onlywilliam.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/sell-buy-hello-kitty-singing-bone-cheap.html

Grown adults fighting the police for Hello Kitty toys as police tried to maintain order.

You may also find this quite surprising too AliceBB if I tell you. I think you will have a goat if you realised how the world is sometimes.

I might find WHAT quite surprising if you tell me? What is 'this'?

I might have a goat if I realised the world is WHAT sometimes?

Sorry, you've lost me already!

But I would only eat goat (or any meat) if I were literally starving to death.

I might find WHAT quite surprising if you tell me? What is 'this'?

I might have a goat if I realised the world is WHAT sometimes?

Sorry, you've lost me already!

But I would only eat goat (or any meat) if I were literally starving to death.

Oh. You may find the unethical nature of some consumers when they buy McDonalds in different countries as very immoral. They actually buy a Happy Meal. Throw the food in the bin as they walk out the door, but they keep the toy. There was a newspaper who documented this phenomena a while back. I just cannot find the article now. That was a few years back. But this practise is still happening, despite protest from the general population in that city.

McDonald as a company also realises this potential to make money, and they do not necessarily sell food or decent food in these meals, but they actually just do so as a marketing campaign to gain the extra profit from this niche market, and use less quality food ingredients also.

Did you know that this kind of "business strategy" happens for this company ?

Oh. You may find the unethical nature of some consumers when they buy McDonalds in different countries as very immoral. They actually buy a Happy Meal. Throw the food in the bin as they walk out the door, but they keep the toy. There was a newspaper who documented this phenomena a while back. I just cannot find the article now. That was a few years back. But this practise is still happening, despite protest from the general population in that city.

McDonald as a company also realises this potential to make money, and they do not necessarily sell food or decent food in these meals, but they actually just do so as a marketing campaign to gain the extra profit from this niche market, and use less quality food ingredients also.

Did you know that this kind of "business strategy" happens for this company ?

I have no idea, but if it weren't for the wastefulness of it, the bin would indeed be the best place for the food itself. It's gross.

Bit nasty as a reply isn't it? Vegetarians are rabbits are they? :suspect:

It doesn't take a lot to see that Americans don't treat their food in the right way, not criticising America for that, it is just a fact of life - and no, I am not suggesting all Americans eat poorly, but when it comes to attitudes towards food I'd rather be in the Italian camp.

We have a chain called The Olive Garden where you'll find food as good as anything you would in Napoli. I've been there a few times as most sailors have. New England seafood from Maine Lobster to Boston clams, cod, and haddock is first rate. No we are not big on vegan foods, I must admit, and they are often hard to find in restaurants, but I get a little tired of the constant attacks on American eating habits from UK, where from my years there it was brown windsor soup, Whimpy burgers, steak egg and chips poorly cooked and served by indifferent and surly waitresses who didn't have to worry about a tip since a service charge was imposed by the government.

We have a chain called The Olive Garden where you'll find food as good as anything you would in Napoli. I've been there a few times as most sailors have. New England seafood from Maine Lobster to Boston clams, cod, and haddock is first rate. No we are not big on vegan foods, I must admit, and they are often hard to find in restaurants, but I get a little tired of the constant attacks on American eating habits from UK, where from my years there it was brown windsor soup, Whimpy burgers, steak egg and chips poorly cooked and served by indifferent and surly waitresses who didn't have to worry about a tip since a service charge was imposed by the government.

Oh, I agree with the sentiment about customer service. That is why I like Pret. The workers seem to "connect" with you a little bit at least, even though they are working for very little money. I have been in that shoe myself too, and I do appreciate a smile to make my day. I just hope that their boss will indeed do the right thing by them.

Unfortunately the rest of the country is like that to begin with ! Moaning and groaning, and complaining is a fact of British life unfortunately.

UK is going the same way as the US in terms of fast food. So I would not worry about the criticism because the reality is that, we have also become that kind of First World country too.

In 1990s, a McDonald burger in Sheffield WAS made from real meat and not a prepacked burger made in batches.

Archived