McDonalds employees past present and future.

Anyway, Alice, I'm going to dice some ham, fry it in olive oil with onions and tomato ( pronounced Tomayto) spread Jamaican curry on it, pour a cup and a half of water on it, bring it to the boil and simmer it for 20 minutes, adding a tablespoon of chutney. Prepare a packet of Knorr Asian rice and peas. Ladle the ham over the rice, Delicious. I'd invite you except the Atlantic gets in the way.:) Seriousy,You should try it without the ham.

We have a chain called The Olive Garden where you'll find food as good as anything you would in Napoli. I've been there a few times as most sailors have. New England seafood from Maine Lobster to Boston clams, cod, and haddock is first rate. No we are not big on vegan foods, I must admit, and they are often hard to find in restaurants, but I get a little tired of the constant attacks on American eating habits from UK, where from my years there it was brown windsor soup, Whimpy burgers, steak egg and chips poorly cooked and served by indifferent and surly waitresses who didn't have to worry about a tip since a service charge was imposed by the government.

I hold no candle to everyday UK restaurants. Much of the fare is overpriced, unhealthy and of generally indifferent quality. Good independent pub dining rooms are often our best bet.

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 19:01 ----------

Anyway, Alice, I'm going to dice some ham, fry it in olive oil with onions and tomato ( pronounced Tomayto) spread Jamaican curry on it, pour a cup and a half of water on it, bring it to the boil and simmer it for 20 minutes, adding a tablespoon of chutney. Prepare a packet of Knorr Asian rice and peas. Ladle the ham over the rice, Delicious. I'd invite you except the Atlantic gets in the way.:) Seriousy,You should try it without the ham.

That sounds interesting but if I omitted the ham, where does my protein come from?! I'd be ravenous within an hour or so! Perhaps substitute chick peas for ham?

Thank you for the thought, anyway.

Oh, I agree with the sentiment about customer service. That is why I like Pret. The workers seem to "connect" with you a little bit at least, even though they are working for very little money. I have been in that shoe myself too, and I do appreciate a smile to make my day. I just hope that their boss will indeed do the right thing by them.

Unfortunately the rest of the country is like that to begin with ! Moaning and groaning, and complaining is a fact of British life unfortunately.

UK is going the same way as the US in terms of fast food. So I would not worry about the criticism because the reality is that, we have also become that kind of First World country too.

In 1990s, a McDonald burger in Sheffield WAS made from real meat and not a prepacked burger made in batches.

Not all of our restaurants are fast food.We have some very good family chains, some without liquor licenses where you can take children without anybody complaining. The places with liquor are more expensive and will tolerate kids to a degree as long as they are well behaved. Two well known chains are Friendly's and Bob Evans. Of those two I prefer Bob Evans, since Friendly's has gone down hill lately. These are full service places where you won't get served too quickly if that's the way you like it. A great favorite of mine is called The Cracker Barrel, a southern chain that has sprung up here in the North. It specializes in food from the deep south including grits, dumplings, sausage and gravy and such.

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 14:08 ----------

I hold no candle to everyday UK restaurants. Much of the fare is overpriced, unhealthy and of generally indifferent quality. Good independent pub dining rooms are often our best bet.

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 19:01 ----------

That sounds interesting but if I omitted the ham, where does my protein come from?! I'd be ravenous within an hour or so! Perhaps substitute chick peas for ham?

Thank you for the thought, anyway.

But I thought you didn't eat meat at all.

Not all of our restaurants are fast food.We have some very good family chains, some without liquor licenses where you can take children without anybody complaining. The places with liquor are more expensive and will tolerate kids to a degree as long as they are well behaved. Two well known chains are Friendly's and Bob Evans. Of those two I prefer Bob Evans, since Friendly's has gone down hill lately. These are full service places where you won't get served too quickly if that's the way you like it. A great favorite of mine is called The Cracker Barrel, a southern chain that has sprung up here in the North. It specializes in food from the deep south including grits, dumplings, sausage and gravy and such. ...

I see. I will try and remember these chains if I ever visit the US again. Thank you for letting me know of them.

I am not too big on customer services really. Which I know is a very big thing in the US. I normally am more keen on good food, and a reasonable setting. I do not mind if the staff is a little rush under and I have to wait a little while and things like that. I do not tend to fight them if I can help it. lol. I just want a relaxed experience. I normally hope that they are also a bit more relaxed too, that kind of thing.

I really hope that the US will have less of the mega chains. Because I think that is what it has become, and let some of the smaller ones to survive and sustain the very good food. One thing that I loved was indeed the actual burgers. The one I have tried in Five Guys was very very good. I can see what people mean about eating a medium rare burger in the US. It is actually very good beef.

Well the threads original purpose has been long lost.

but, mcdonalds is the 25th best large company to work for, has excellent customer service, food that is consistent, is always open when i want it, cant really fault it.

The staff work hard, and you can clearly see that when you visit, they pay decent wages and always offer career development opportunities.

Anyone, in my opinion, who insults someones job, no matter what it is, needs to have a serious word with themselves.

Anyone in employment deserves to be, and should be proud of themselves

there is just no response to you, obviously there is nothing toxic about the food, just your spite

Please explain how a dislike of greasy, unhealthy fast food and a distrust of the businesses which flog it is tantamount to 'spite'. You are not making much sense.

I don't. That's why I would have to make it without ham, but I still need some protein, wouldn't I?
So what is your position on cheese? it is an animal by product as is milk. Good protein foods. Are they OK. Does your aversion to meat come from caring for animals? Bear in mind that it takes time to raise vegetables, while meat was always there for the hunter. Maybe that's why kids don't like veggies much, but love a hotdog or two. I'm not being facetious, honestly. Hunting for food in Britain seems to have been only for the rich for generations. Colonial fathers in America had to hunt to feed their families and were good shots. That's why they beat the Redcoats, the most powerful army in the world, which had already defeated the French.

Archived