Pensioners protest

Free travel is a right that has been earned by working and moving the time from 9am to 0930am will not impinge on the rush hour as it is normally over by 9am. The buses I have been on after 9am on my way to work are seldom busy

No it isn't. Anyone who is a pensioner today won't have known about free travel for most of their working life, since free travel only became available to pensioners in 2008. So suggesting people have been toiling away for their working life, looking forward to a free trip on the train to Leeds is, quite frankly, nonsense. I work hard and pay my taxes but I do this to pay for the education system, the NHS, roads, police, the fire brigade, benefits for those who are down on their luck etc. I don't pay my taxes and dream of the day when I'll qualify for a free train ride!

Thanks for that! I was unaware of the change and I'm disgusted at the levels to which this government have gone. It's still the rich "what gets the pleasure and the poor what gets the blame."

God help the least privileged if the swine get back in!

Is it this government that did it?

Looks like a change was on the cards from April 2010..before the election

Am I missing something here? Has free travel been removed altogether including the buses?

I was under the impression that it was only the ability to travel on trains that had been removed and that buses were still free, all be it a little later starting.

Now given that buses will take you to far more places in SY than you can get to by train why is the removal of free travel by train a problem?

I am also confused as to why Leeds is mentioned so many times!!!

Am I missing something here? Has free travel been removed altogether including the buses?

I was under the impression that it was only the ability to travel on trains that had been removed and that buses were still free, all be it a little later starting.

Now given that buses will take you to far more places in SY than you can get to by train why is the removal of free travel by train a problem?

I am also confused as to why Leeds is mentioned so many times!!!

As has been explained previously free bus travel between 0930 and 2300 on weekdays and unrestricted at weekends is available to all pass holders.

I am a regular traveller to Leeds because I have a son living there and I am also a Yorkshire (CC) member and attend games on as many as three days on alternate weeks. I also used to do my market shopping in Leeds because you can buy almost twice as much stuff for much less than you can in Sheffield thanks to the council who charge rents that are way too high.

Many other pensioners did likewise with the markets and the trains were always busy. Not any more...and it's quite noticeable!

I wonder how long it will be before the service is reduced due to under-use.

Hope that makes it a little clearer for you.

A pensioner who comes from Leeds to Sheffield (by train), can do for half price on Northern trains. A pensioner who comes from Derby to Sheffield (by train), can buy a Derbyshire wayfarer for half price. A pensioner from Sheffield, who only wants to go to Doncaster (By train), has to pay full price. A pensioner from Sheffield, wanting to go anywhere in South Yorkshire, or West Yorkshire has to pay full price.

Why is a reduced fare not even mentioned? Why not let disabled people and pensioners have a reduced dayrider ticket for trains in South Yorkshire.

---------- Post added 01-05-2014 at 14:26 ----------

]

any links to photos'?

send me a pm, I got a couple when we were at Penistone Station, and I can send you them if you want. I don't know how to upload them

A pensioner who comes from Leeds to Sheffield (by train), can do for half price on Northern trains. A pensioner who comes from Derby to Sheffield (by train), can buy a Derbyshire wayfarer for half price. A pensioner from Sheffield, who only wants to go to Doncaster (By train), has to pay full price. A pensioner from Sheffield, wanting to go anywhere in South Yorkshire, or West Yorkshire has to pay full price.

Why is a reduced fare not even mentioned? Why not let disabled people and pensioners have a reduced dayrider ticket for trains in South Yorkshire.

To be honest I know a lot of pensioners who are better off than people who work full time... is it fair they should get reduced travel costs? Genuine question..

To be honest I know a lot of pensioners who are better off than people who work full time... is it fair they should get reduced travel costs? Genuine question..

Yes, and people in work should campaign to make sure they get better pay. Its not pensioners travel arrangments that is causing low wages is it?

Yes, and people in work should campaign to make sure they get better pay. Its not pensioners travel arrangments that is causing low wages is it?

Justify why a reasonably wealthy pensioner should get reduced travel whereas a low paid worker won't...I'm interested in your reasoning...

Archived