Pensioners protest

so we're agreed, it wasn't theft

It will be if they attempt to pull the stunt next week...

---------- Post added 02-04-2014 at 15:59 ----------

i have no idea what northern rail will do if they do it again next week, but i doubt they would like the publicity of calling out the police to turf 30 or so pensioners off a train - or the publicity of fining them and/or taking them to Court

Ah, so being of a certain age makes you above the law then? Interesting theory.

i have no idea what northern rail will do if they do it again next week, but i doubt they would like the publicity of calling out the police to turf 30 or so pensioners off a train - or the publicity of fining them and/or taking them to Court

we'll just have to disagree on the meaning of the word peaceful - i'm talking about the protest - you seem to be talking about the potential consequences of it

as i said, good luck to them - if i was a pensioner i'd be up there myself next week

---------- Post added 02-04-2014 at 15:58 ----------

We certainly are. I wouldn't want you to think i dodged a reply where i was in the wrong.

"“The money being saved is so little. The four councils together pay £329,000 to Northern Rail for this concession and around 250,000 people have these passes. For less than £2 a head they provide free travel for some of the most vulnerable people in society."

Why don't the pensioners just pay the £2 a head..free travel saved for very little cost or have I mis-understood..?

Might as well be nationalised and free travel put in place for all.

Put cameras on the trains to monitor the doors, let them be controlled by drivers, lay off the conductors, and save far more than £329 000 per year...

Ah, so being of a certain age makes you above the law then? Interesting theory.

not at all - if the powers that be choose to enforce the law that is up to them - i believe it is a stupid, petty and un-necessary change to the concessionary travel scheme, but the law is the law - if someone chooses to break it they should be prepared to face the consequences

---------- Post added 02-04-2014 at 17:00 ----------

We certainly are. I wouldn't want you to think i dodged a reply where i was in the wrong.

apologies - i was being unnecessarily smart - a trait i don't like in others and shouldn't fall foul of myself

we'll just have to disagree on the meaning of the word peaceful - i'm talking about the protest - you seem to be talking about the potential consequences of it

as i said, good luck to them - if i was a pensioner i'd be up there myself next week

---------- Post added 02-04-2014 at 15:58 ----------

So being a pensioner means you can do anything you want? If they had been wearing football colours and refused to they would have been locked up, so why is this different?

So being a pensioner means you can do anything you want? If they had been wearing football colours and refused to they would have been locked up, so why is this different?

as you can see in my post at 16.58, this is not what i am saying

but i didn't make the decision not to prosecute them - maybe you should ask northern rail?

wilful refusal to pay is slightly different to a protest against the removal of a concession, but i do see the point you are making

i'm not defending the decision made by northern rail not to prosecute, i'm defending the rights of the pensioners to protest in any peaceful way they see fit

edit - what is it you are objecting to - the fact that the pensioners refused to pay or the fact that northern rail treated them differently to other rail users who refuse to pay?

edit - what is it you are objecting to - the fact that the pensioners refused to pay or the fact that northern rail treated them differently to other rail users who refuse to pay?

I am objecting to the dual standards of NR. A refusal to pay is a refusal to pay no matter what the age, gender or race and should be prosecuted equally

A refusal to pay is also not the same as an inability to pay which itself does raise other questions where leniancy is sometimes needed

If the true purpoase of the protest was to raise attention to their "plight" then NR did them a disservice by not arresting them and starving them of the oxygen of publicity. If it were not for Radio Sheffield and this thread I would not have known about it.

As I understand it the majority of the UK do not allow pensioners (or as we used to call them when I was younger, and bus passes first came in, twirlies) to have free train travel so the protest is more about taking away a luxuary that other pensioners dont have?

Are there any figures available to indicate how much pensioners actually used this luxuary?

Archived