Pensioners protest

I am objecting to the dual standards of NR. A refusal to pay is a refusal to pay no matter what the age, gender or race and should be prosecuted equally

A refusal to pay is also not the same as an inability to pay which itself does raise other questions where leniancy is sometimes needed

If the true purpoase of the protest was to raise attention to their "plight" then NR did them a disservice by not arresting them and starving them of the oxygen of publicity. If it were not for Radio Sheffield and this thread I would not have known about it.

As I understand it the majority of the UK do not allow pensioners (or as we used to call them when I was younger, and bus passes first came in, twirlies) to have free train travel so the protest is more about taking away a luxuary that other pensioners dont have?

Are there any figures available to indicate how much pensioners actually used this luxuary?

i agree with you on quite a lot of this - for want of a better phrase, northern rail chickened out - i'm not criticising them because i can see why they did it - but it didn't solve the issue - assuming the pensioners do the same next week

i think your understanding is correct, the free train travel is only available in south yorkshire/west yorkshire as far as i am aware and they have only brought this area in line with the rest of the country - although, being a frequent user of northern rail trains, i'm not sure i'd call it a luxury

Well it seems the protest originated in Barnsley, is that correct?

So if it happens the same time, same place next week, the non-confrontational solution is easy: they throw up manual ticket checks at Barnsley station. Stop those without a ticket or valid pass even getting onto the platform. That will soon nip it in the bud.

Already told you that causing delays to trains isnt really peaceful, is it?

i do recall you saying something like that previously - i also recall disagreeing with you - as i still do

sitting on a train refusing to pay is a peaceful protest - assuming they don't then batter the conductor/guard with their walking sticks - the consequences of the protest may not be peaceful but that isn't the same thing

I hope next week they are all ejected from the train and all handed penalty fares.

Oh yes poor poor them, live here all their lives contribute & get screwed, some bloody foreigner comes over and get money, house and all sorts thrown at them.

It's about time us Brits stood up for our rights, sod all the foreigners coming over here and getting free this, free that.

They ought to remember we go to their country we live by their rules, so they come to ours and live by ours, sick of bending our rules to suit them.

Well it seems the protest originated in Barnsley, is that correct?

So if it happens the same time, same place next week, the non-confrontational solution is easy: they throw up manual ticket checks at Barnsley station. Stop those without a ticket or valid pass even getting onto the platform. That will soon nip it in the bud.

you may just have cracked it! although i can imagine dozens of pensioners popping on the bus to wombwell and trying to board the train there!

Oh yes poor poor them, live here all their lives contribute & get screwed, some bloody foreigner comes over and get money, house and all sorts thrown at them.

It's about time us Brits stood up for our rights, sod all the foreigners coming over here and getting free this, free that.

They ought to remember we go to their country we live by their rules, so they come to ours and live by ours, sick of bending our rules to suit them.

Rather ironic then that these pensioners want to bend the rules to suit themselves, huh?

Bit ironic how other so called groups in this country think the world revolves round them, you'll be old one day

And when I am, I will be grateful for a free bus and tram pass, and not attempt to disrupt the rail network by misusing it.

Mind how you go, old timer.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 15:36 ----------

they just want the rules putting back to how they were

..by disrupting the journeys of fare paying passengers.

And when I am, I will be grateful for a free bus and tram pass, and not attempt to disrupt the rail network by misusing it.

Mind how you go, old timer.

---------- Post added 03-04-2014 at 15:36 ----------

..by disrupting the journeys of fare paying passengers.

I doubt they've disrupted the rail network, old timer hey well nearly 56 & retired but old timer, nah I'm well past that just biding me time. While everyone accepts that certain cuts must be made why is it always the old and vulnerable that suffer.

Archived