Pensioners protest

But if they refuse to pay the fare then they ARE criminals as AFAIK it IS an offense to travel without a valid ticket

They are not criminals as they haven't been convicted, this forum is arse about face bad things happen and people leap to the defence of the perpetrators (not you), yet a few pensioners refuse to pay train fare and folk want them hanging.

They are old people standing up for their rights, like lots stood up in WWII for people's rights (so people could live as they do now), soon forgotten though that.

They are not criminals as they haven't been convicted, this forum is arse about face bad things happen and people leap to the defence of the perpetrators (not you), yet a few pensioners refuse to pay train fare and folk want them hanging.

They are old people standing up for their rights, like lots stood up in WWII for people's rights (so people could live as they do now), soon forgotten though that.

And what about the Kinder Scout trespassers? It's because of the courageous actions of protesters like these, who were definitely breaking the law, that we have access to so much of our beautiful local countryside. If people weren't prepared to make a stand for what's right, we'd still have kids working down the pit, no vote or higher education for women, no health service, no pensions .......

But do they have the right to have it better than the rest of the country?

And if the answer is yes, why?

But do they have the right to have it better than the rest of the country?

The pensioners are only protesting about a direct attack on their own living standards, which they have the right to do. I think it's in all our interests to support them. If people stood together more, the powers that be would think twice about casually eroding all our living standards.

The pensioners are only protesting about a direct attack on their own living standards

The pensioners in question are still able to travel to Elsecar, Wombwell, Meadowhall, Sheffield or any other destination on the National Rail network within South Yorkshire using free buses, if this is taken away from them they may have a valid argument. Until then, meh.

The pensioners are only protesting about a direct attack on their own living standards, which they have the right to do. I think it's in all our interests to support them. If people stood together more, the powers that be would think twice about casually eroding all our living standards.

But they are on very shaky ground in that they are demanding something the rest of the country does not provide. I say again, why should they get special treatment?

As others have said there are perfectly good bus services to all of the locations the trains go

But they are on very shaky ground in that they are demanding something the rest of the country does not provide. I say again, why should they get special treatment?

As others have said there are perfectly good bus services to all of the locations the trains go

If you had looked at the earlier comments, (on this and the parallel thread) you'd have seen evidence that south Yorkshire was NOT unique in offering travel before 0930, and on train services.

There is no direct bus to Leeds. it involves four changes, (bus from Home to City. bus from City to Barnsley, bus from Barnsley to Wakefield, bus from Wakefield to Leeds. 3 1/2 hours by bus, versus 55 minutes by train)

I'm sure that the teachers would be grateful of that support as well.

Archived