Pensioners protest

If you had looked at the earlier comments, (on this and the parallel thread) you'd have seen evidence that south Yorkshire was NOT unique in offering travel before 0930, and on train services.

There is no direct bus to Leeds. it involves four changes, (bus from Home to City. bus from City to Barnsley, bus from Barnsley to Wakefield, bus from Wakefield to Leeds. 3 1/2 hours by bus, versus 55 minutes by train)

Why should they offer travel before 09:30? They have no jobs to go to

If you had looked at the earlier comments, (on this and the parallel thread) you'd have seen evidence that south Yorkshire was NOT unique in offering travel before 0930, and on train services.

There is no direct bus to Leeds. it involves four changes, (bus from Home to City. bus from City to Barnsley, bus from Barnsley to Wakefield, bus from Wakefield to Leeds. 3 1/2 hours by bus, versus 55 minutes by train)

I know SY was not unique but it was very much in the minority, so my point is still valid.

I thought the free train travel was only in SY as last I heard leeds was not in SY?

I know SY was not unique but it was very much in the minority, so my point is still valid.

I thought the free train travel was only in SY as last I heard leeds was not in SY?

It was in agreement with west Yorkshire that they could travel to Leeds and vice versa

it's the same as giving a child a chocolate bar that they should not really have then taking it away! The crying, moaning sobbing ect

Nah, they like the "priority" seats near the door, they won't stand.

Not sure if tongue in cheek but will treat it as, if entitled to a priority seat they should get one. It is very rare I can get on a bus now (can't walk far) but it makes my blood boil when I see able bodied people & bloody kids sat in these seats.

I have got on and been given a seat my a group of young people who, could see I was struggling to walk & breathe.

Everyone seems to begrudge our pensioners something yet most of your parents will either be at that age, getting there or left it sadly, but are quite happy for a few zillion foreigners come here & get all bloody unsundry for nowt.

It was in agreement with west Yorkshire that they could travel to Leeds and vice versa

fair enough I cede that I did not know that.

I have asked before and not been answered, are there any figures as to how much free train travel pensioners took?

Not sure if tongue in cheek but will treat it as, if entitled to a priority seat they should get one. It is very rare I can get on a bus now (can't walk far) but it makes my blood boil when I see able bodied people & bloody kids sat in these seats.

They're allowed to use those seats as long as they give them up if somebody else needs it.

fair enough I cede that I did not know that.

I have asked before and not been answered, are there any figures as to how much free train travel pensioners took?

Im not quite sure you may have to ask them directly to find out, seems a long way to go for a box if jaffa cakes!

They're allowed to use those seats as long as they give them up if somebody else needs it.

Yes that's my point bud, you find more able bodied and kids in these seats and that is annoying, it annoys me when I live 5 minutes from bus stop and it takes a minimum 20 to walk there. Just to get on bus and find someone that doesn't need it sat in it, if my wife is with me she'll ask people to move for me or people will just do it.

Lot's don't little children should sit on parents knee, the biggest pain is the bloody prams they expect to get on bus, the pram is full of shopping & rugrat is walking :loopy::loopy::loopy:

My local pensioners enjoy free bus travel at any time. If they want to use the train they get a discount of 50% on journeys within the county after 10am. Before 10am they pay full fare and if they're going out of the county they pay full fare. So clearly not as good a deal as the Sheffield folk.

How would the Sheffield pensioners feel about a similar deal? You get a discount but have to pay something towards your fare.

It seems though that Herts County Council made the opposite decision to SYPTE - our pensioners have kept their 'extra' concessions;local subsidised bus services have been cut instead. I now cannot get a bus back to my village after about 8pm, and when the bus is running there is a 2 hour gap between services. Want to travel on a Sunday? We have one bus to town in the morning, and one bus back in the afternoon.

I would question what use these pensioner bus passes actually are, as there are now so few buses running....

Archived