Pensioners protest

I would put the ticket check on the platform on the train home only. Let them make their outbound journey for free in protest, then stop them from boarding the train back home. They can either pay, or be left stranded.

NB - it's a good question why free travel to Leeds is so important? Free travel to Birmingham, Manchester, Chesterfield or York has never been allowed yet nobody protested about that.

I think that there is only one person on this forum that is obsesed with the idea of wanting to get to leeds on the train for free

i think leeds is not what the issue is about. Its about SYPTE taking free travel away from south yorkshire pensioners, and disabled people. They now have to pay full price on trains. As this decission went through, London people over 60 were given free transport on tube, trains, and docklands light railway in London. In Derbyshire peeople can buy a wayfarer ticket for half price with their pensioner pass, or mobillity pass which can be used on all trains in Derbyshire. In West yorkshire, pensioners and mobillity pass holders can travel for half price. Welcome to South Yorkshire, and if you are a pensioner, or a disabled person with a bus pass, you will have to pay full price on any train in south Yorkshire. The leeds issue is not important in my opinion, its the lack of any reduction in train prices for disabled people. If you let them walk over pensioners like this, you let them walk over you, cause one day you too will be old, god willing. Pensioners and disabled people only want a fair deal, and sypte is not giving them one.

i think leeds is not what the issue is about. Its about SYPTE taking free travel away from south yorkshire pensioners, and disabled people. They now have to pay full price on trains. As this decission went through, London people over 60 were given free transport on tube, trains, and docklands light railway in London. In Derbyshire peeople can buy a wayfarer ticket for half price with their pensioner pass, or mobillity pass which can be used on all trains in Derbyshire. In West yorkshire, pensioners and mobillity pass holders can travel for half price. Welcome to South Yorkshire, and if you are a pensioner, or a disabled person with a bus pass, you will have to pay full price on any train in south Yorkshire. The leeds issue is not important in my opinion, its the lack of any reduction in train prices for disabled people. If you let them walk over pensioners like this, you let them walk over you, cause one day you too will be old, god willing. Pensioners and disabled people only want a fair deal, and sypte is not giving them one.

SYPTE implement the changes but it stems from a policy decision by the ITA, who are effective the 4 councils of SY. The policy decision was forced on them because the councils have had their budgets slashed and as such they have less money to spend on things, including subsidised travel.

If people have a problem with it then there are local elections coming up and they can express their displeasure at the decisions made by the current administrations by voting for a councillor from a different party.

Sypte didn't consult with anyone, they just announced the cuts, in a horrid way. The protest is making them realise pensioners will not be pushed as easily as SYPTE would like.

Go Grey Power, and anyone who else disagrees with what SYPTE is doing join the train. There is strength in numbers.

Sypte didn't consult with anyone, they just announced the cuts, in a horrid way. The protest is making them realise pensioners will not be pushed as easily as SYPTE would like.

Go Grey Power, and anyone who else disagrees with what SYPTE is doing join the train. There is strength in numbers.

If SYPTE aren't given the money to fund the scheme by the councils then how do they pay for it? It was a policy decision to cut the budget and responsibility rest with councillors... take your frustration out on them at the upcoming election.

Beside, I think that anything that helps keep pensions from clogging up the transport system during rush hour commuting is a good thing. If only SYPTE could ban pensioners from shopping in supermarkets at the weekend too.

If SYPTE aren't given the money to fund the scheme by the councils then how do they pay for it? It was a policy decision to cut the budget and responsibility rest with councillors... take your frustration out on them at the upcoming election.

Beside, I think that anything that helps keep pensions from clogging up the transport system during rush hour commuting is a good thing. If only SYPTE could ban pensioners from shopping in supermarkets at the weekend too.

I really do hope your last paragraph was tongue in cheek Zamo.

SYPTE are not "taking away free travel".

They offered free travel in the past, in addition to their obligations, and that additional gratuity has now been withdrawn.

Nothing has been taken away, as it was effectively a "loaned gift" in the first place - something which (should have been) fully understood by all parties.

It has simply come to an end.

(Whether or not it should [or shouldn't] be offered is another matter.*)

* Yes. It should.

SYPTE are not "taking away free travel".

They offered free travel in the past, in addition to their obligations, and that additional gratuity has now been withdrawn.

Nothing has been taken away, as it was effectively a "loaned gift" in the first place - something which (should have been) fully understood by all parties.

It has simply come to an end.

(Whether or not it should [or shouldn't] be offered is another matter.*)

* Yes. It should.

Before operating keyboard please ensure brain is engaged!

I really do hope your last paragraph was tongue in cheek Zamo.

A little bit tongue in cheek. ;)

Perhaps banning pensioners from weekend shopping is too strong. It would be better if supermarkets encouraged it with concessionary discounts mid-week for pensioners. Although supermarket might be worried in case they ever needed to withdraw it... they'd have miltant pensioners blockading stores with their mobility scooters and refusing to pay their full bill in protest! :D

Free travel is a right that has been earned by working and moving the time from 9am to 0930am will not impinge on the rush hour as it is normally over by 9am. The buses I have been on after 9am on my way to work are seldom busy

Also you are having a laugh banning pensioners from supermarkets at weekends, the ones who don't work mostly shop in week anyway. What right has anybody to tell someone else what time they can

shop at. Most supermarkets are open from 7am to 10pm, surely you can find a time to suit you that isn't busy if you don't like crowds. I know exactly when my local Morrisons is busy and I avoid it

Archived