Three quarters of society want mandatory 20mph speed limits.

Would you agree to/are you in support of mandatory 20mph speed limits?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you agree to/are you in support of mandatory 20mph speed limits?

• Yes 100% in support
    • No definitely don't want this to happen

Driving around at low speed is surely a very inefficient way to run an engine. What research has been done on the effects of this on air pollution ?

Its accelerating and braking that does for your fuel consumption. Last series of Top Gear demonstrated that admirably. Remember the Ukraine episode where they were trying to run out of fuel? Hammond got is car down to 18mpg by constantly accelerating to 30mph then braking hard. I know TG is done for laughs but that really hit home.

The sinister anti-motoring organisation Brake

Why do you think they're sinister and anti-motoring?

But saying that you end your post with:

Driving around at low speed is surely a very inefficient way to run an engine.

One of the most common excuses speeders use when caught, along with "my car sits better in 4th gear so I need to go faster" :)

Yes I want to see this. It is commonplace on the continent (30 kp/h in residential neighbourhoods, 50kph on main-roads in built up areas) and it has caused a massive reduction in the number of deaths due to rta's.

I can for the life of me not understand why my road is 30 mp/h. I wouldn't dream of even trying to do 20 mp/h here, but I frequently see boy-racers giving it a good go and I don't think they are even hitting the speed limit.

It can be your cat, your child, your car that they run into.

Recently near where I live has been made a 20 zone, not sure why particularly as I wasn't aware of any accidents/problems beforehand.

So far I've not seen anyone paying any attention to the new limit, you can't drive very fast on most of the roads as they're quite narrow/twisty with parked cars. Everyone seems to be continuing to drive at 25-35 or there abouts with the odd boy racer type hooning around exactly as before.

I just hope they don't put speed bumps all over.

The truth of the matter is 20mph restrictions have little effect on those that would be already be breaking a 30mph restriction anyway.

Driving pass a school it should be 20mph .... when the kids anre coming and going but on a dual carrigeway at 4:00 in the morning..lets have some sense.. please.

The police to not enforce many of the traffic rules in Sheffield. Parking ticket.. not likely top be a copper that issued it. Speeding ticket ...I'll bet it was a camera. Careless, dangerous driving or driving without consideratin for other road users hardly ever happens now, you have to be really unlucky and/or in an accident to get a ticket for any of those.

The heavy, some say deliberately council caused, congestion prompts many to explore the 'rat runs'. I'd argue that the speed bumps, blocking half the road in places and not providing lay-bys for buses prompt many people to drive more aggressively once they get clear to make up for lost time. The highways need sorting out properly, drivers need to set off earlier for work and to remember when going home that home is better than the hospital.

Further legislation and/or speed restrictions will not stop those peole that do speed from speeding. Even though some of them would be most upset if it was their child that was mown down by someone racing threough a rat-run in their neighbourhood.

Empathy is a quality that seems to escape once people learn to drive. Couple this with no pavement parking and the streets will be safe for your retirement or when your kids go out.

You're going over the top here. It's already illegal to block pavements.

Lots of roads in Sheffield are narrow with wide verges (due to bad planning) a lot of these verges have been adapted for parking, even without dropping the kerb.

Most estate roads in built up areas are 20mph & have speed bumps already, they'd have to be added to more main roads to fit any more speed bumps in.

We have some of the lowest road accident rates in the world. The air pollution will get you first if you look where you're going.

No it doesn't. Where do you get that from?!?

The bit where you said "Most heavily built up areas are too busy to go even 20mph anyway" there is an implicit assumption that people are responsible enough to drive slow enough of there own volition in heavily built up areas.

Driving pass a school it should be 20mph .... when the kids anre coming and going but on a dual carrigeway at 4:00 in the morning..lets have some sense.. please.

I don't think anybody is suggesting dual carriageways or even main routes should drop to 20 mp/h. But what is wrong with residential side streets being made 20 mp/h? If people break the speed limit there at least when they get caught the punishment is right. Also, those kids coming out of the school, where do they go? Or do they all live in that 50 yard exclusion zone? Perhaps if we had more 20 mp/h zones parents would feel more secure about walking their kids to school stopping the endless nonsense of school runs.

Archived