Three quarters of society want mandatory 20mph speed limits.

Would you agree to/are you in support of mandatory 20mph speed limits?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Would you agree to/are you in support of mandatory 20mph speed limits?

• Yes 100% in support
    • No definitely don't want this to happen

All opinion polls are rigged....

this is very funny and true

Of course they are, people accept them because they don't ask questions, don't understand why it is done or have have any insight into the implications

I voted no.

I don't have a problem with a 20mph speed limit on estate roads, because they're often fairly narrow, bendy and have parked cars along them. It never ceases to amaze me how fast some people drive on these roads, because I don't feel comfortable/safe at more than 20mph on such roads.

The reason I voted no is because of roads like Wordsworth Avenue. I stick to the 30mph along there, which seems to annoy some of the drivers behind me who clearly think that is too slow, but I'd consider 20 mph on such a long, straight, wide road to be painfully slow.

Regards

Doom

---------- Post added 04-04-2014 at 08:09 ----------

All opinion polls are rigged....

this is very funny and true

Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister were a work of genius. :hihi:

Regards

Doom

its not needed, all that people need to do is drive with due care and attention, just because you are in a 30 zone doesnt mean you have to drive at 30 if there are loads of parked cars and pedestrians about, if 20 mph speed limits need to be implemented because some drivers have no thought for road safety awareness, then these same people will probably not take any notice of the speed restrictions, thus ensuring all the right thinking safety conscious drivers will be hindered adhering to the new limits, and those with the cavalier attitude will carry on as normal

Brake is hardly shadowy. Have a look at their website http://www.brake.org.uk/

The survey was done in conjunction with Allianz insurance, hardly a shadowy organisation either, and conducted by surveygoo whose credentials look to be pretty good. The main organisation pressing for a default 20mph limit where people live is 20s Plenty for Us, headed up by Rod King MBE, and the local branch is 20s Plenty for Sheffield.

So it's an online survey? Those are not reputable since they're self selecting. We already know it's a tiny sample size. 'Surveygoo' as a name should give you a clue as to how good these pollsters are, can't believe you managed to fit that word in the same sentence as credentials or 'pretty good'. This forum poll is probably more accurate.

Was it just ITV that published the story?

And a 20mph speed limit sign will stop them?

Didn't think so... so why bother going to the expense of changing the law and then spending 10's of millions of pounds on new signs across the country? We'd get a better return on our money if we gave it to the police to target idiots instead of inconveniencing the rest of us with another crap one-size-fits-all solution that won't achieve anything.

If you think the police should target idiots then you have to define what an idiot is. You have to have laws which the idiots break. But you've said we shouldn't be changing the laws. Doesn't it occur to you that we could change the laws AND get the police to target the idiots who break them?

Actually the police already do target idiots. That hasn't occurred to you either.

I don't think anybody is suggesting dual carriageways or even main routes should drop to 20 mp/h. But what is wrong with residential side streets being made 20 mp/h? If people break the speed limit there at least when they get caught the punishment is right. Also, those kids coming out of the school, where do they go? Or do they all live in that 50 yard exclusion zone? Perhaps if we had more 20 mp/h zones parents would feel more secure about walking their kids to school stopping the endless nonsense of school runs.

I'm not sure where you live but residential roads are 20mph already. If we had more they'd have to be main roads.

Showing my age here, but I walked/caught the bus to school alone from being 8, so did all my friends, there were no 20mph zones & nobody I knew died or got raped on the way to or from school.

Have voted yes on the poll, but wish it specified "20mph limits on residential roads" - I have no problem with 30mph on main routes through urban areas. There is no doubt at all that a city-wide 20mph limit on residential roads reduces serious injuries and deaths but the argument about emissions is more complex: braking and accelerating and waiting in queues are the least efficient ways of running and engine, so a slow steady speed might help and has been shown to improve congestion. There is the weird anomaly that overall journey time is shorter when speed limits are introduced on congested motorways because you don't get bunching. Other advantages of introducing a city-wide scheme, instead of area by area, is that it is much cheaper and that it is simpler to understand.

Archived