Ketamine 'exciting' depression therapy

I’m hoping the research and testing on this develops in to formulating a safe medication, free from side effects for the millions of people who suffer with depression.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26647738

_______

I heard a piece about this on the radio this morning in which they spoke to one of the scientists who did the research. It's certainly interesting and exciting. One of the obstacles to overcome is the short lived nature of the effect. The guy on the radio said they'd had one person in the study who maintained their improvement for about six months, but for most people it's more like a fortnight.

There was also a brief interview with the mother of a depression sufferer who reported that her daughter had the treatment and the following day was able to go out for a walk by herself for the first time in many years.

There's also the now widely known problem of long term recreational users developing some really appalling bladder/urinary problems.

I hope there isn't a rush of depressed folk buying street Ket and ending up in a mess.

I heard a piece about this on the radio this morning in which they spoke to one of the scientists who did the research. It's certainly interesting and exciting. One of the obstacles to overcome is the short lived nature of the effect. The guy on the radio said they'd had one person in the study who maintained their improvement for about six months, but for most people it's more like a fortnight.

I’m not sure what was meant in the report specifically by that. I wasn’t sure if they meant that even if taken daily the effect is short lived or they mean one dose of it only lasts a short while.

I’m not sure what was meant in the report specifically by that. I wasn’t sure if they meant that even if taken daily the effect is short lived or they mean one dose of it only lasts a short while.

I think he meant the latter. I heard the report and that was my understanding. Even so if a dose lasts only 24 hours it will still have a useful effect. People will just have to have a different Special K for breakfast.

My experience of working professionally and knowing people who have misused this drug has left me seeing the bad side of the drug. Very health damaging both mentally and physically.

Which is why it's routinely used as a pediatric anaesthetic.

Use and abuse are, obviously, different.

This isn't about abusing ketamine to treat depression, it's about using it.

I think he meant the latter. I heard the report and that was my understanding. Even so if a dose lasts only 24 hours it will still have a useful effect. People will just have to have a different Special K for breakfast.

Well if it is the latter that is not so bad (presumably), as conventional anti-depresant usually have to be taken every day. I am saying this with the assumption that K can safely be taken every day:huh:

Ketamine is used extensively in chronic pain and in some acute pain. Its used proportionally more in children. The pain doses are less than you'd use to get high and it's not clear what sort of doses are being suggested here. I'm surprised no one has done this before.

Ketamine is used extensively in chronic pain and in some acute pain. Its used proportionally more in children. The pain doses are less than you'd use to get high and it's not clear what sort of doses are being suggested here. I'm surprised no one has done this before.

Interesting point there Macca. Wonder if pay-offs by big pharma has anything to do with it having not been tried previously. However, I`m not aware of any changes etc.

Archived