Online Tickets Fraud

I "bought" some tickets off someone who advertised on Gumtree. Called him up and spoke to him over the phone. Paid by online bank transfer. And now he's disconnected his phone!

But I do have his bank details.

The question is - am I in a position to do anything?

You could go to the police. The bank won't give you any information but the police can obtain information about the account holder. This assumes it is a 'genuine' account and not a one that's been fraudulently opened or used by a fraudster without the account holder's knowledge.

You could go to the police. The bank won't give you any information but the police can obtain information about the account holder. This assumes it is a 'genuine' account and not a one that's been fraudulently opened or used by a fraudster without the account holder's knowledge.

Also true, only reason why I didn't mention the police is because if the account holder lives in say Nigeria, the police will just come to a dead end so there's no point. Id do a check to see which bank they're with first.

It's a UK bank, TSB

Will the police be able to help recover my money?

I do have all the text messages showing the text conversation of him asking me to transfer money into that account, and promising to send the tickets by post.

It's a UK bank, TSB

Will the police be able to help recover my money?

I do have all the text messages showing the text conversation of him asking me to transfer money into thatacc ount, and promising to send the tickets by post.

In that case i recommend contacting the police by just calling 101 and making them aware of the situation.

Don't know what the banks stance would be though

Why on earth do it via bank transfer? That is like cash except you havent got the tickets.

Bank transfers are the most vulnerable way of moving money as they provide very little protection. Pay by card if you can.

Report it to the police. Ticket scams are common. You dont say how much it is but I doubt you will get your money back. If you have the energy and the persons details then sue them and get judgment.

Archived