Online Tickets Fraud

Also true, only reason why I didn't mention the police is because if the account holder lives in say Nigeria, the police will just come to a dead end so there's no point. Id do a check to see which bank they're with first.

I assume he paid by Faster Payments, so it will be a UK Bank (or Isle of Man or Channel Islands).

What can the bank do? Not a lot really other than give information about the account holder to the police.

You could report this to Action Fraud: http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ which is a kind of police call centre type thing. Action Fraud don't investigate the frauds though, they pass them to the local police.

I think you should report it but in all honesty I would not hold out much hope of getting any money back.

Has the event which the tickets were for taken place yet?

This happened to my boyfriend with a car part he bought from Gumtree - we had his name, phone number, address and confirmation of the bank transfer but the police told us it's not a crime and nothing to do with them - so I asked if it is legal for me to set up an account and take money for goods I don't have and won't send, to which they said of course it isn't - so then why wasn't our case anything to do with the police?!?!?!

I had to walk out of the police station before I ended up arrested because I was so angry with the whole thing!

To answer all the questions asked above :

The amount was £150, it was for tickets to the FA CUP semi final and the event has not yet taken place.

So : is the resale of tickets legal, and should I file a police complaint?

If so, what is the likelihood of getting my money back?

I have evidence of the bank transfer, his account number and text messages from him from a number has been deactivated yesterday.

To answer all the questions asked above :

The amount was £150, it was for tickets to the FA CUP semi final and the event has not yet taken place.

So : is the resale of tickets legal, and should I file a police complaint?

If so, what is the likelihood of getting my money back?

I have evidence of the bank transfer, his account number and text messages from him from a number has been deactivated yesterday.

1.The police are likely to regard it as a civil matter rather than criminal at the moment, becayse the event hasnt happened. He just hasnt delivered on time what you agreed.

2. yes I would report it, becayse other people might be as well and it might then persuade them to investigate as this person conducting a wider ticket scam. It can also be used as evidence by you.

3. Are ticket resales illegal? The answer is it depends, but probably not. It's better to look at whether the ticket allows resale and imposes any restrictions. For instance some tickets are not transferable and can only be used by the person who booked them i.e Glastonbury. Other tickets have no such restrictions. You have to look at FA cup tickets, but I doubt they are so restricted. In any event, even if they were, then it would be buyer beware and its up to you to ask. Case in point being the kate Bush tickets. It's a red herring argument for you imo.

4.The important point are you likely to get your money back? Imo your chances are very, very very slim. What you have effctively done is given a complete stranger cash and made yourself totally vulnerable to fraud. never do bank transfers unless its someone you know and trust. If you had used a cc card, debit card or even paypal then you would have stood a chance as they provide some protection.

5. You could of course start a small claims action in the county court against this person if you get all their details. That is where the police report would help. The person could be long gone by then though if it was an organised scam. Its not impossible bu this method, but there are court fees etc. You would then have the problem of enforcing judgment.

Be very wary of craigs list or buying off the internet by means that leave you vulnerable i.e cash methods.

3. Are ticket resales illegal? The answer is it depends, but probably not. It's better to look at whether the ticket allows resale and imposes any restrictions. For instance some tickets are not transferable and can only be used by the person who booked them i.e Glastonbury. Other tickets have no such restrictions. You have to look at FA cup tickets, but I doubt they are so restricted. In any event, even if they were, then it would be buyer beware and its up to you to ask. Case in point being the kate Bush tickets. It's a red herring argument for you imo.

Illegal relates to something being a criminal offence. In general it won't be a criminal offence to resell tickets although it may be a breach of the T&Cs.

However, football tickets are a special case - the resale of football tickets is illegal under section 166 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act (1994) which is why this forum doesn't allow the sale of football tickets in the Classified Ads section.

The offence is to sell, not to buy. And in fact I believe it is an offence to offer for sale a football ticket. So this person has committed an offence by advertising the tickets.

Whether he has committed an offence of Fraud depends on whether there was intent to deceive you. If he didn't send the tickets by mistake, or because they were stolen from him, this wouldn't be fraud.

I think the police will view this as a civil matter but it's worth calling Action Fraud whose number I posted earlier or speaking to the police. You have nothing to lose.

I would not hold out much hope to see your money again though.

Archived