Paid less than three quid per hour

This whole apprentice thing really winds me up...

Officially and legally, there's no upper age limit on who can fill an apprenticeship position...

However, Purely due to costs, 99.999% of employers limit it to 16-21 or 18-24

Past 24, you have no chance.... there's been LOADS of apprenticeships I would have loved to apply for, but can't because i'm over that age...

Well if they hypothetically got the million unemployed employment at the minimum wage of just over 6 pound per hour,you can't see a problem with that Melthebelll?

It's about getting a higher percentage of the masses/slaves working for what amounts to slave labour.

This hourly rate of pay amounts to not much more than subsitance living.

How would you like to live on it?

Apprenticeships used to be much sought after when I was young. Most young people lived at home with their parents, and getting an apprenticeship usually meant they were learning something that would benefit them once they needed to be earning enough to support themselves.

It was often the alternative to staying on at school, one of the main differences then being apprentices got paid. Not a lot, but that was fine, as they were being paid to learn!

By the 90s lots of organisations had stopped providing apprenticeships, and only took on skilled people. Of course they cost more, but employers didn't need to train people for 3+ years. Considering the high levels of youth unemployment, if I had children or grandchildren who weren't going on to further education and were looking for work, I'd probably encourage them into apprenticeships. As parents, we expect to support our children until they have the skills and experience to support themselves. Apprenticeships are one way of helping them to achieve independence.

Well if they hypothetically got the million unemployed employment at the minimum wage of just over 6 pound per hour,you can't see a problem with that Melthebelll?

It's about getting a higher percentage of the masses/slaves working for what amounts to slave labour.

Why is it worse than students who have to pay to learn...? Isn't the idea of an apprenticeship to be a learning process so you're actually being paid to obtain a qualification..

I AM on minimum wage, but I'm over 19 (slightly :P ) as others have said, generally younger ones are more likely to be

A) learning / training

and

B) living at home with less outgoings

but obviously, not all

I have done work-experience for free, had to somehow find money to make my own way over as well. I don't really see the problem, you have to get on the ladder somehow and if someone is prepared to spend time and energy on ensuring you become adequate in what presumably is quite a difficult job, than they are spending enough on you anyway.

Why is it worse than students who have to pay to learn...? Isn't the idea of an apprenticeship to be a learning process so you're actually being paid to obtain a qualification..

Do what? I think this thread it little more than a political trolling attempt by an alternative alias created a few days ago

Archived