Heeley Institute

Shieldtoad

He certainly is, acrobatics, stories, humour and of course the music. He knows how to create a great atmosphere and send the audience home with a glow. I've only just realised he will have a band with him.

I've only seen him once, at The Shakespeare but I'd happily see him play every week.

He was great wasn't he? He rocked the place like a, erm, turnstyle.

I really liked the venue but like you say, I could have done with a bit more elbow room.

His band were good but I'm not sure they really added much to what he does anyway, he gives a full enough experience on his own. At times they were even a bit of a distraction. Great night though

He was great wasn't he? He rocked the place like a, erm, turnstyle.

I really liked the venue but like you say, I could have done with a bit more elbow room.

His band were good but I'm not sure they really added much to what he does anyway, he gives a full enough experience on his own. At times they were even a bit of a distraction. Great night though

My thoughts exactly!

There were a couple of songs where the banjo was distorted, the rhythm section were pounding away and there was a sort of folk punk feel. That's where the band brought something else to proceedings. Otherwise, they were a bit superfluous- not in a bad way, just in an inessential one. It's a minor criticism, they were good musicians and the harmony singers were suitably Vaudeville-unhinged.

I wish I wasn't working next saturday evening, I'd go and see him again at The Hop in Wakefield.

I hope the Institute has more gigs lined up, I'd definitely go back again. They didn't disappoint with the range of fine bottled ales!

I was hoping Bob Log would be playing there but he's at the Corporation.

Archived