Nuclear energy the way to go?

The issue who should pay aside: Nuclear is a necessity. We can't afford to keep growing our economy if we can't somehow power it. There are places in the UK that are keen to have nuclear powerplants - the sooner they begin building them, the better.

Those referring to the various disasters: yes, disasters are possible, no, disasters are not likely. It is a balance we have to strike. If we don't get our own electricity production up soon we will simply not have electricity anymore.

Edit: btw the Dutch have been twiddling their thumbs on this issue for years and recently were forced to accept that their 50s nuclear plant will have to stay open for another ten years beyond its expected lifespan. I am sure you will agree that isn't exactly ideal.

The issue who should pay aside: Nuclear is a necessity. We can't afford to keep growing our economy if we can't somehow power it. There are places in the UK that are keen to have nuclear powerplants - the sooner they begin building them, the better.

Those referring to the various disasters: yes, disasters are possible, no, disasters are not likely. It is a balance we have to strike. If we don't get our own electricity production up soon we will simply not have electricity anymore.

Edit: btw the Dutch have been twiddling their thumbs on this issue for years and recently were forced to accept that their 50s nuclear plant will have to stay open for another ten years beyond its expected lifespan. I am sure you will agree that isn't exactly ideal.

How come we had to close our nucler plants down, by order of the EU?

Not sure, I haven't heard of that before so I can't comment. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it was the British government using the EU as a scapegoat for an unpopular decision as it frequently does.

Too true...

A few thoughts, how costly is uranium to mine and process?

How large is the world supply?

What are the human costs in the mining and processing?

How far off useable nuclear fusion are we?

At my alma mater they had a nuclear fission research institute, as I suspect the have/had in many places. The only news I ever heard about that place involved them seeing their funding cut as nuclear anything became increasingly unpopular.

I am sure that quite a few people will be scratching themselves behind the ears about that now.

No to nuclear. I will change this view when they build nuclear power stations in the centre of London and store the waste from it in the town centres of oxford and cambridge.If its safe then its not a problem is it?

I suspect there are nuclear power stations nearer to London/Oxford then there are to Sheffield..

All these questions could be answered by a few minutes of googling.

With your choice of user name name I would have thought you'd have known the answers to these...

Archived