Should supermarket BOGOF deals be banned?

Supermarkets have been urged to end "buy one get one free" offers to reduce the "morally repugnant" amount of food being thrown away by shoppers.

A report by the House of Lords European Union Committee says 15m tonnes of food is wasted in the UK each year.

Those pesky evil supermarkets, forcing people to buy stuff, forcing people to be too ignorant to cook properly and forcing people to throw stuff away!

This report says that supermarkets are effectively passing on their food waste by including it in BOGOF offers.

"It is clear that retailers must assume a far greater responsibility for the prevention of food waste in the home", it said.

Really? Why? Surely once the food has been bought it is the consumer's responsibility for what happens to it. I get the odd BOGOF offer if it's something I know I'm going to use. Other times I won't.

People should take responsibility for their own purchases, learn to cook, freeze portions etc, rather than blame supermarkets for having the temerity to sell them stuff.

There is a big upheaval about bogof offers on meat in the Netherlands that I suspect might blow over here as well. I suspect this is what ignited the discussion - supermarkets in the Netherlands have been forcing meat-wholesalers to slash prices to the extend that things like the horsemeat scandal happened. They do this to then put obscenely low prices on meat in their stores, hoping to lure people in.

I agree that is their job, but they are going too far by selling meat at a price well below the price it can possibly be produced for. (4£ for a 1,5 kg pork joint? 4£ for four chicken breast fillets? That is 2£ per bird...)

Supermarkets have been urged to end "buy one get one free" offers to reduce the "morally repugnant" amount of food being thrown away by shoppers.

A report by the House of Lords European Union Committee says 15m tonnes of food is wasted in the UK each year.

Those pesky evil supermarkets, forcing people to buy stuff, forcing people to be too ignorant to cook properly and forcing people to throw stuff away!

This report says that supermarkets are effectively passing on their food waste by including it in BOGOF offers.

"It is clear that retailers must assume a far greater responsibility for the prevention of food waste in the home", it said.

Really? Why? Surely once the food has been bought it is the consumer's responsibility for what happens to it. I get the odd BOGOF offer if it's something I know I'm going to use. Other times I won't.

People should take responsibility for their own purchases, learn to cook, freeze portions etc, rather than blame supermarkets for having the temerity to sell them stuff.

I look for BOGOF offers, out of date offers and never throw food away, supermarket are forced to throw perfectly good food in skips because legislation says it must have a sell by date after which it as to be dumped.

Just a small point, how do they know what food we throw away each year?

It should be the law that (for example) if you sell something for £10 for 1 kg, you cannot sell 500g for more than £5. Same as with cigarettes. 10 cigarettes costs half of what 20 cost. Same as beer in pubs. Half a pint costs half of what a pint costs.

Why?. Just curious

Why not just sell at half price? It`s exactly the same as BOGOF except stuff won`t get wasted. I personally hate food waste and do try and only get the BOGOFs that I know we will use.

Anything that can goes in the composter and then back onto the garden

As for knowing what we throw away, our household rubbish gets sorted at the depot, and they can see there how much food waste there is.

It's quite simple, either don't buy the BOGOFF item at all, or just buy one!

I take advantage of BOGOFF deals, but I won't just buy anything. I will buy ambient products which will last (I.e cordial, baked beans etc) or, if its meat, I freeze the "free" one.

Halving the price wouldn't work for the supermarkets, some people will just buy 1, some will buy 3,5,7, etc. The odd ones sold will result in a loss to the supermarket. They are in the business to make money after all.

Nobody forces anyone to buy anything, if you don't like the BOGOFF offers, buy something else, simple!

It's quite simple, either don't buy the BOGOFF item at all, or just buy one!

I take advantage of BOGOFF deals, but I won't just buy anything. I will buy ambient products which will last (I.e cordial, baked beans etc) or, if its meat, I freeze the "free" one.

Halving the price wouldn't work for the supermarkets, some people will just buy 1, some will buy 3,5,7, etc. The odd ones sold will result in a loss to the supermarket. They are in the business to make money after all.

Nobody forces anyone to buy anything, if you don't like the BOGOFF offers, buy something else, simple!

They buy bulk cus of the bogoff offer but if that was banned I doubt they would buy more than one so half the price, sell more and keep the bogoff people happy and the people that buy just one item all are happy

It should be the law that (for example) if you sell something for £10 for 1 kg, you cannot sell 500g for more than £5. Same as with cigarettes. 10 cigarettes costs half of what 20 cost. Same as beer in pubs. Half a pint costs half of what a pint costs.

Are you still here?

Archived