Should supermarket BOGOF deals be banned?

Perhaps it would be good if it was banned. They banned multi-buy deals on alcohol in Scotland. Absolutely perfect as you can now buy a bottle of wine for the same price as its English counterpart in a 'buy 6 - save x' offer, except that it is a single bottle rather than a box full of them.

I find this BOGOF deal is twice as wasteful as the BTGOF thing ... assuming that you needed two, but not necessarily three, in the first place. Having said that, if you buy three when you only want one, it's twice as wasteful as buying one to get another for nothing. If you did actually want three, but heavens above, two of them have gone off before you can eat them (or you go on a diet or something), and you only end up wanting one, but, by the time you've decided you only want one, that's gone off too, it's a shameful 100% waste of food.

The best way to sell stuff would be to have 'Buy two of half of what you want for the price of two' ... everyone's happy, win-win situation!

If ever anyone does a 'buy one, get three free' offer, then I'm afraid that even with my qualifications in advanced mathematics, I may have difficulties in working out the implications ... diet or not.

It should be the law that (for example) if you sell something for £10 for 1 kg, you cannot sell 500g for more than £5. Same as with cigarettes. 10 cigarettes costs half of what 20 cost. Same as beer in pubs. Half a pint costs half of what a pint costs.

Good points, it's a wonder the anti drink and anti smoking mob havn't used this as a leverage to point out that people are drinking and smoking more these days to avoid the rip off by doing things in halves. :huh:

The BOGOFF deals are only wasteful if you actually waste the "free" one.

If the free one isn't going to get eaten, leave it in the shop! - or give it away to a friend,neighbour,or someone begging in the street.

And what about all the other BOGOFF deals which aren't perishable food - ban those too?

Maybe a ban on perishable stuff? If I wanted a couple of pork chops but i could get one free, I'd be daft not to get it. But can I freeze it (ie freezer room) etc there's a possibility it could go to waste. Aldi ( which supermarket of the year) don't do BOGOFs.

They're a scam anyway, they just increase the price to almost double & then 'BOGOF!'. So you buy 2 at almost full price when you only wanted one. They're not really giving things away, it's just a way to make pricing more complicated & try to trick you into thinking you're getting a bargain. They really shouldn't do it on perishable food.

It should be the law that (for example) if you sell something for £10 for 1 kg, you cannot sell 500g for more than £5. Same as with cigarettes. 10 cigarettes costs half of what 20 cost. Same as beer in pubs. Half a pint costs half of what a pint costs.

But wouldn't the supermarket get a better deal from Heinz if it buys 100,000 tins of beans instead of 50,000 tins of beans, and the only way it can justify buying the 100,000 tins is if it can encourage its customers to buy more than they need and store some of them at home.

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 19:02 ----------

Maybe a ban on perishable stuff? If I wanted a couple of pork chops but i could get one free, I'd be daft not to get it. But can I freeze it (ie freezer room) etc there's a possibility it could go to waste. Aldi ( which supermarket of the year) don't do BOGOFs.

If you can't freeze it, cook it and eat it the day after or the day after that.

Supermarkets urged to scrap buy-one-get-one-free as shoppers waste 222m tons of food a year.

Lords report slams 'repugnant' scapegoating of farmers and the 222m tons of food thrown away each year by the West – as much as is produced in sub-Saharan Africa.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/news/supermarkets-urged-to-scrap-buyonegetonefree-as-shoppers-waste-222m-tons-of-food-a-year-9241174.html

I think they have a point, we all love something for free but not perishables and short life products.

I think waste is a big problem, we buy more stuff than we use and end up chucking stuff away that would have easily been better used in a big stew, batch dishes and mass freezing stuff for another day.

I would rather cook less and eat it all than cook loads and chuck half away, some things freeze well like deep meat dishes but vegetable dishes can become tepid after thawing out.

I would rather cook less and eat it all than cook loads and chuck half away, some things freeze well like deep meat dishes but vegetable dishes can become tepid after thawing out.

Whereas meat dishes are still piping hot after thawing out?

Archived