Should supermarket BOGOF deals be banned?

Perhaps it would be good if it was banned. They banned multi-buy deals on alcohol in Scotland. Absolutely perfect as you can now buy a bottle of wine for the same price as its English counterpart in a 'buy 6 - save x' offer, except that it is a single bottle rather than a box full of them.

It's not made an iota of difference though tzijlstra. Beer/wine is still dirt cheap.

I got a box of Kronenberg (15 bottles) £8 and wine for the good lady, as cheap as when I was down in Sheffield last week.

It's not made an iota of difference though tzijlstra. Beer/wine is still dirt cheap.

I got a box of Kronenberg (15 bottles) £8 and wine for the good lady, as cheap as when I was down in Sheffield last week.

You can make it for less

---------- Post added 07-04-2014 at 12:26 ----------

I think waste is a big problem, we buy more stuff than we use and end up chucking stuff away that would have easily been better used in a big stew, batch dishes and mass freezing stuff for another day.

Not sure I'd like a stew of patato peelings, carrot tops, old leaves from cabbages and such

It should be the law that (for example) if you sell something for £10 for 1 kg, you cannot sell 500g for more than £5. Same as with cigarettes. 10 cigarettes costs half of what 20 cost. Same as beer in pubs. Half a pint costs half of what a pint costs.

Make it illegal to give any kind of discount for selling in bulk. :huh:

It should be the law that (for example) if you sell something for £10 for 1 kg, you cannot sell 500g for more than £5. Same as with cigarettes. 10 cigarettes costs half of what 20 cost. Same as beer in pubs. Half a pint costs half of what a pint costs.
if it's packaged or run through a production line it costs more to produce in smaller quantities. Imagine something sold in jars - in units of 500g, there are 2 jars & 2 lids per kg. If same item is sold in kilo jars, there is one of each. Expand this all the way up to space on lorries, in supermarkets etc and it becomes more expensive.

Beer in pubs has no measurable extra cost for smaller units - maybe the glass collectors time etc.

---------- Post added 07-04-2014 at 13:37 ----------

Make it illegal to give any kind of discount for selling in bulk. :huh:
where would this stop? Much of business is done through buying powers via economies of scale. All prices everywhere would increase.

Economies of scale, Happ. If you buy two halves instead of a pint, that's two trips to the till the barman has to make and two glasses to clean instead of one.

Maybe not but you could use them to make stock.

jb

Not much point since stews make their own stock in any case

---------- Post added 07-04-2014 at 17:02 ----------

Economies of scale, Happ. If you buy two halves instead of a pint, that's two trips to the till the barman has to make and two glasses to clean instead of one.

Plus most places charge more for two halves than a single pint

Hi Glasgow, that was my point :)

If they ban BOGOF perhaps (and judging by the way the alcohol thing in Scotland worked out) they will offer that stuff half price without being a BOGOF which would be much better for reducing waste.

Btw. I'll never forget the look on the face of a lassie that served us in Buckie - we had been to see dolphins and otters at 6 in the morning and on the way back decided to pick up some wine (well some... enough to last me a week, which is quite a lot). She was stunned I wanted to buy it before 10 in the morning. I was stunned I couldn't!

Archived